The Winter's Tale at a Glance

(These are some important thing you should know followed by a sort of summary plus short analysis in list form for fast revision)

Plural 'we' is the king's language from Shakespeare's time.

Poetry is in contrast with prose, reflects class difference and by birth nobility.

'You' shows distance, formality, class difference, 'Thou' and 'thy' show affection.

Contrasting seasons represent the cycle of life.

Mamillius presents the idea of Mam or Mother foreshadowing Hermione's prominent role.

Leontes is an Othello who is his own Iago (from Shakespeare's play 'Othello', the king Othello is convinced by his advisor Iago to commit murder)

Camillo's name is introduced first, which basically mean he is important, we also see how he's under a lot of pressure to make choices that decide the path of motion of the play.

Antigonus dies knowing what he is doing is wrong.

According to Shakespeare, there is a natural order which when disturbed leads to repercussions. This order is restored by people or time. Antigonus contributes to the disturbance.

It's ironic how Polixenes seems to be the better man but Sicilia and Bohemia are 'twin lambs' in the end they behave the same way.

Florizel stands for the younger generation + the difference in expression of love.

Perditha is equated to a goddess because she brings luck.

Shepherd is called just that because he represents simple people in pastoral regions. He saves Perditha from purity of heart.

Autolycus is a rogue. He links court and pastor. Ironically brings characters together. Comic relief character. God's hand, in a way.

Powerful women are presented —> Hermione and Perditha are two faces of the same stone.

Paulina is probably the most powerful one.

Time is equated to gods as is seen controlling occurrences, also introduced as narrator.

Bear—> symbol of nature's wrath.

Leontes' madness is terrifying also due to its uncertain origin.

Hints on misogyny, drastic insecurity.

To balance his morbid, brooding jealousy Shakespeare makes Leontes' daughter the poet of spring, revitalisation.

Florizel is constant and generous as Leontes is suspicious and cruel.

Leontes—>tragic hero. Perditha—> fairytale princess reared among commoners who falls in love with the prince and eventually lives happily ever after. Basically a cliche.

Miracle of Hermione's resurrection is a fitting close to the spirit of rebirth that Perditha brings to the story.

Theres a rich group of supporting characters:

Hermione—> exemplary, eloquent figure

Pauline—> voice of reason, justice and a reminder

Camillo—> mediator for both kings, bridge between Bohemia and Sicilia.

Autolycus —> harmless villain, thief, provides a helping hand unintentionally, brings music and comic relief.

Oracle of Delphi is provides information on Hermione's innocence.

Hermione comes in a dream to tell Autolycus to name her child Perditha.

Leontes believes he's been made a cuckold—> a betrayed husband.