Sweet Bird of Youth: Social and Political Milieu

Q. Discuss the social and political milieu of the play 'Sweet Bird of Youth' by Tennessee Williams.

Tennessee Williams has presented many issues regarding racism, corruption, sacrifice and most prominently, youth. He has been able to touch the hearts of his audience regardless of their age and gender by presenting modern concepts clashing with a vintage background and characters one can easily feel connected with and sympathise with.

This drama explores themes that most people shy away from. It exploits the tainting of the innocence of youth brought upon by circumstances the society throws them into. Williams shows powerful imagery by depicting Chance, a young, handsome and talented man who sells his body in order to pursue his dreams and to fulfil the expectations society has placed upon him. Expectations that arise due to his exceptional talents of acting at a young age that eventually are revealed to be just average in the real entertainment industry when he doesn't receive any significant roles.

This drama deals with corruption and how the powerful look down upon the weak and place themselves on high, unreachable pedestals. This can be seen by the example of how Heavenly is presented as an image of heaven created by powerful men where certain people such as Chance are not allowed to enter. It also deals with how the powerful manipulate information to their advantage. Boss has a black man castrated then resumes to twist the facts and brainwash his people into believing there is a difference of purity between black people and white people and manipulates them into thinking that he is doing this for their personal interests.

This drama deals with loneliness, how other people's actions can leave someone empty inside. Williams has depicted this by showing how Chance's irresponsibility causes Heavenly to become infertile, how Boss uses Heavenly as a representation of purity only to have her getting hurt whenever her operation is mentioned, especially in public. We see the sacrifices Chance makes for his career end up in vain the moment Alexandra turns her back on him, leaving him hopeless. This acts as a representation of what happens when a person surrenders everything to the fulfilment of a goal and comes back from the adventure empty handed. Williams has illustrated this concept in a relatable way to allow the audience to sympathise with the protagonist and even the supporting characters.

Williams has shed light upon society's hypocrisy and racism. He represents this through Boss who calls black people diseased and white people pure which is ironic because the symbol he uses as purity is Heavenly who is literally diseased to the point of infertility. Moving beyond that, she is in a way mentally diseased as well. The thought of her operation hurts her to the extent that is causes her to fall unconscious and it's clear that the thought of her disease and Chance does not allow her to live in peace and move on.

Williams has exploited time, denial, and regrets with inter-relation to one another. He shows us that when one is in his youth, life is beautiful, but as time passes ones beauty, fame, and money all pass away with it. Time's passing can lead to things changing for the worse, truths revealing themselves. This can lead to feelings of denial such as how Alexandra is in denial of her failed comeback and fading beauty. It can lead to regret such as how Chance perhaps regrets what he did to Heavenly or regrets chasing after his dreams over settling down with a modest job. Maybe Heavenly regrets ever loving Chance or listening to her father too.

Williams puts forward bright themes with a tinge of irony. The name 'Chance Wayne' is ironic. It presents itself as a chance but 'Wayne' can also be acting as an ambiguity to represent something lost in vain or the waining of one's youth. This contrast destroys the hopeful image but also allows one to face reality. Chance expects his life to an American dream but is soon hit by the fact that the world is not a bed of roses once he fails to make it big as the famous actor he imagined himself.

Williams has outlined many serious issues that exist even in modern times. He has done this to perhaps have society open its eyes and deal with the unfairness a lot of young people deal with while pursuing their dreams, to provide them with more opportunities, to help make it easier for them to walk down the right path towards success and not fall into eh world of crime and corruption. He emphasises on equality and allows the audience to understand how unfair it is to discriminate based on appearances and wealth. He teaches us how it is foolish to blindly trust and hand over power to a person like Boss who twists facts to fit his agenda.