The Winter's Tale: Presentation of Time

Q. Discuss the presentation of Time in 'The Winter's Tale' by William Shakespeare.

William Shakespeare is perhaps the most daring playwright of the seventeenth century. He has done what was looked down upon by his society and used techniques condemned by the rules of playwriting at the time. One of those techniques is the presentation of time in such a way that it breaks 'the unity of time' and personifies time as not a character but a narrator.

Shakespeare presents time as an old man, emphasising on the age of time, ho wit has existed long before perhaps even the world did. He depicts him with a long white flow beard, wearing all white and holding a white hourglass. The white colour represents purity and his flowing, long beard illustrates the flowing of time and its infinite length. Thus Shakespeare introduces a personification new to the audience, whose appearance raises questions and captivates audiences.

Time is seen throughout the play in different forms. At time it is introduced through characters and in Act IV i shown as a person. Time's main role is to perhaps provide insight on how long specific events are set apart from each other. In Act Ivi it is also depicted as the narrator, conversing directly with the audience and discussing that which is not seen. One such example is the growing up of Perditha and Leontes shouting himself up. Time is also seen introducing new characters such as Florizel, a new season: spring, and a new country: Bohemia. Thus Shakespeare exemplifies time as perhaps a minor character discussing major characters while ironically, it is seen to have much control over the characters and various situations. It reveals the truth and allows characters precious moments to complete various tasks such as allowing Dion and Cleomenes twenty three days to deliver the Oracle's message to Leontes or giving Polixenes and Hermione nine months to stay at the palm as Leontes' guest and to have her baby, respectively, coincidently leading Leontes to believe his wife has been disloyal.

Time is depicted as a revealer, a listener. It seems to know all that i soigné on and is able to reveal truths such as Hermione's innocence and Perditha's survival. In this play Time's tone in Act IV i is expressed as apologetic maybe towards both the audience and the characters for leading them into this situation. Though the characters might blame bad timing for for bad fortunes, Time is show to have healing powers instead. Time allows Hermione and Perditha to live an escape the toxicity of Leontes' court. Time allows Leontes to repent and allows characters to build relationships, such as that between Perditha and Florizel, and to mend them, such ad that between Hermione and Leontes. Thus Shakespeare sets a contrast between how the characters perceive Time and its reality. He illustrates that the characters see time as a force that renders them helpless, forced to flow along with it, and something that they can measure and keep up with. He contradicts this by introducing Time as a healer, someone who is sorry for what the characters have been through, and someone who is sorry for what the characters have been through, and someone who promises bring to come next. He presents Time as eternal and unmeasurable. Such colours attract the audience towards the newly introduced idea and allows them to meditate on the existence of Time itself.

Shakespeare is perhaps contradicting his society's picture of 'time is the enemy' by exhibiting Time in a brighter light. He shows his audience that while it may seem that Time conspired against the characters, events may have instead occurred in their favour. If Time had not been seen to allow Perditha to leave Sicilia and grow up a Shepherd's daughter, the shepherd may not have had such good fortune. Florizel and Polixenes' relationship may not have mended, Leontes may not have realised the importance of his wife and Camillo may not have ended up with Paulina. Thus Shakespeare teaches us to not fight against our fortune, that what is meant to happen will happen. He has taught us that we should allow Time to heal and trust that with time all difficulties will come to an end.