The Winter's Tale: Reference to Context 2 (Opening, Important!)

Q. RTC of Act Ii of 'The Winter's Tale' by William Shakespeare.

Shakespeare is known for his 'Shakespearian technique' or the clever art of exposition. A great example of this art is the opening of the play where we see two minor characters discussing major character, important themes and foreshadowing the events that will follow. This scene also solidifies relationships and statuses of the two countries Bohemia and Sicilia. It induces suspense and is therefore a successful opening.

We see a contrast made between Bohemia and Sicilia,' you shall see as I have said, great difference betwixt our Bohemia and your Sicilia' and indirectly an early contrast between the two kings Leontes and Polixenes is made. We see how one is more powerful than the other yet their relationship is shown to be pure and more powerful than their differences, 'Wherein our entertainment shall shame us we will be justified in our loves.' We are shown how Leontes and POlixenes has been close since they were children and 'trained together in their childhoods.' bu the audience are quick to notice that they have been separated by distance and royal duties for quiet some time, 'Since they more mature dignities and royal necessities make separation of their society, their encounters...' and may have changed during that time. The audience wonder if now that they've met face to face their differences will become more prominent to them thus creating suspense and curiosity to see two kings interact.

Shakespeare has used beautiful language that hints at events that will happen later in the play, this language also creates a sense of dread and wanting to know if their suspicions are correct the audience find themselves attached to the play. We see how Camillo and Archidamus, both lords of their respective courts, talk in prose. This suggests causal court language and perhaps even friendship between the two as there is between their kings but the occurrence of 'you' instead of 'thou' contradicts that idea. It shows distance and perhaps even signifies one growing between the kings. We further see strong words just as 'justly', 'accuse' and 'freely'. Although used in a casual conversation here we feel wary and consider a scenario where someone is accused, where freedom is taken away, and where justice either prevails or fails. It is a court after all and drama regarding such dynamics can be expected. Archidamus says in respect to Polixenes and Leontes' friendship, 'I think there is not in the world either malice or matter to alter it.' which is ironic as indeed there is no 'matter' that spoils it but themselves and Leontes' delusions. When we listen to them praise their kings we also expect the kings to have flowery royal language, instead we see 'a jealous tyrant' as the Oracle describes Leontes which is completely contrasted with Polixenes' language in Act I. Shakespeare laster contradicts our good impression of Polixenes as well when we see him threatening Perditha to never meet Florizel again. Thus the audience realise that the king's character can not be supposed on bases of what their courtiers say about them.

The opening also succeeds to hint at important themes: death, illusion, and the link between young and old. When Archidamus is see to say, 'We will give you sleepy drinks' he mean sin order to hide the 'insufficiencies' of Bohemia they will give them drinks that will cloud their judgement but it also foreshadows how Leontes is overpowered by his jealousy an awe see how his judgement is clouded by an illusions he himself creates. Ironically we see that Bohemia has a hand in these illusions as well for although its king says he would not listen to anyone but Leontes, he listen's to the queen of Sicilia and therefore adds feel to Leontes' jealousy. We see a link between two generations, young Mamillius is introduced her solidifying him as a significant character as well, 'You have an unspeakable comfort of your young prince Mamillius.' We see that he 'makes old hearts fresh' and represents how he is loved by all generations. We see how Mamillius is talked about yet Florizel is not, we get the idea that he is eire not very important or that only when Mamillius leaves the play Florizel is introduced, perhaps because they both represent themes of love and innocence. From Mamillius we are also able to derive the word Mam or mother, this signifies the bond he has with his mother, Hermione. When Archidamus says, 'Would they else be content to die?' and'If the king had no son they {elders of Sicilia} would desire to live till he had one.' the audience dread that something will happen to Mamillius and they are correct to feel this way as later on Mamillius does die, he is an example of how the youth suffers due to decisions made by their elders. Thus Shakespeare ends the opening with a dramatic climax that urges the audience to stay seated and watch the rest of the play unfold.

Through clever implications of hints and beautiful presentation of the scene itself, Shakespeare has succeeded in obtaining the audience's attention who are attracted to the opening and are lured into a sense of curiosity that keeps them in their seats. Since the opening presents a lot of questions such as what will happen to Mamillius? Will Sicilia ever vest Bohemia? What is the two kings' relationship like now that they have met beyond 'gifts, letters, loving embassies'? Rise of such questions prove the opening is an effective open.