Sweet Bird of Youth: Title

Q. What, for you, is the significance of the tittle of the play, 'Sweet Bird of Youth' by Tennessee William.

Tennessee Williams is daring playwright. He explores issues rare talked about during his time. Issues that people often shy away from. So, when he presented 'Sweet Bird of Youth' it was received with mixed feelings. Also, the title is misleading as it conveys the essence of youth and its joys, considering the word 'sweet' in the title but the drama instead explores the them of 'time is the enemy' and the theme of tainted youth.

This drama is ironically based by Williams around people who have lost or are in process of losing their youth, though judging by the title the audience wonder if it should really be centred around youth. The personas in this play also depend on their youth to set them up for life and they are the people now denying the reality that their youth has left them. The title implies that youth is the most important and beautiful time of a person's life.Williams has presented Chance as a character who used to be applauded for his good looks. He was famous in a small town and this drives him to believe that he can make it big in Hollywood by solely relying on his looks. He doesn't realise he looks will fade with his youth as time passes by.

Williams has depicted Alexandra, a film star somewhat obsessed by her appearance much like Chance, as seen by how she fled the theatre once she saw her waning youthful beauty on the big screen and assumed that her film had automatically flopped because she did not look young enough to be considered beautiful. Williams has shown a vivid contrast between Chance and Alexandra. He has shown us how Alexandra has actually fulfilled her youth by doing what she wanted perhaps, after all she is portrayed as a famous movie star. Meanwhile Chance is shown as a perpetual adolescent who is struggling to grasp at straws that do not exist, while his youth passes him by. Ironically his name is Chance Wayne which encourages the thought that he is given an opportunity in the form f his youthful good looks but it is soon left in vain when his beauty starts to wane as time passes. Thus the importance of ones youth and the denial of its loss is signified by the title as well, we are being given a glimpse of how the drama resolves around youth.

The title 'Sweet Bird of Youth' gives the feeling of euphoria. It is sweet while it lasts. But perhaps like a bird can be shot down by a stone, the innocence of youth can also be tainted. In order to pursue his dreams so he could marry Heavenly, Chance takes the wrong road towards wealth and success. He is shown to have sold his body in exchange for money and recognition. Alas, all that earns him is a disease that he passes onto Heavenly. The tainted innocence of youth can clearly be seen through Chance's experiences that ultimately lead him to face punishment for what he did to Heavenly.

The tainting got youth is also shown through Heavenly. All she wants is to perhaps marry Chance but her father refuses as Chance is not part of the upperclass. This is what leads to Chance's desperation in the first place and Heavenly pays for her father's arrogance. She is shown to become infertile at a young age due to the illness Chance passes on to her and loses what is perhaps the only chance she had to achieve true happiness. Thus Heavenly amplifies the waning of youth that is neither done by time nor herself but forced upon her due to society. It can also be said that she both her and Chance are so caught up in their youthful desires that they do not consider the consequences of their action, thus portraying youth as the point in one's life where one makes careless decisions blinded by the euphoria that accompanies these choices.

The symbol of a bird represents the idea of escape and flight. Like a bird, Chance tries to fly away from his nest but fails to succeed and unlike a bird, he tries to find shortcuts towards success which leads him even further away from victory. The image of Heavenly, resembles that of a bird trapped in a cage, being cared for but still encaged and exposed to public eyes without any way to conceal her insecurities. We see this when Boss locks her up at home, refuses to allow her to marry Chance, and uses her a symbol of purity, taking her along to his campaigns and exposing her to comments about her operation in public. The idea of over-sweet syrup poured over a bird's wings, making it unable to fly, comes to mind when the audience considers how overconfidence about his sugary, limited youth has led Chance to losing so much time, his dignity, and the love of his life. Like a bird, a living thing that must die one day; youth, success and money all come to an end. Denial of it will only trap one in a false, beautiful reality that will end sickly as it happens to Chance at the end of the play.

The title also shows youth as a sweet drug. Once the characters such as Chance and Alexandra start relaying on it, they get addicted to it and once it is gone at least Chance is in denial of letting it go. It is not until the end of the play that he accepts that his youth is over and he loses all hope, surrendering himself to Boss's men. Williams notably chooses his title wisely as it illustrates the joys of youth but the actual drama is dark and intense, showing a wasted youth so naturally that the audience is attracted to the drama as the title itself represents an ambiguity that signifies the irony of time and society turning something sweet as youth into something bitter, judging by the fates of Chance and Heavenly.