The Winter's Tale: Sicilia and Bohemia

Q. Discuss the significance of the contrast Shakespeare creates between the worlds of Sicilia and Bohemia.

Shakespeare has presented two distinct worlds thus breaking the rules of unity of space set by Aristotle. They are both entirely different in tone and preoccupations. Much of the contrast is set by the dwellers of the countries, especially the rulers. We follow Perdita from Sicilia to Bohemia and then back to Sicilia and notice the settings change from that of a court to that of pasture. Along the way the seasons change with the settings as well and contribute a lot to the significant contrast as they display the changing atmosphere of the acts and allow the audience to enjoy the play to a greater extent.

The most prominent contrast is probably that in the language of the two worlds. In Sicilia we see Leontes' court using flowery language and conversing in poems which depicts the speakers as intellectual and educated people. Meanwhile in Bohemia we see common folks living in the village and talking in normal prose, except for Perdita and the royals Florizel and Polixenes. The audience notes the fact that Camillo is someone representing Sicilia so the difference in his language can be overlooked, as can that of the royals as court language is expected of them, but Perdita receives much attention due to her language. Despite being raised by a shepherd and probably being uneducated herself, we see her use the elegant court language. The dramatic irony is that the audience know that Perdita is Sicilia's lost princess and her language reminds us of Hermione, this adds a suspense to the play making the audience wonder if her mannerism, so like Hermione, will help identify her as 'which is lost' or not. We also notice how puns such as 'vice and virtue' are used in different tones in Sicilia and Bohemia, in Sicilia we contemplate over the sinister way they are presented while in Bohemia we laugh over how Autolycus uses them to confuse the clown like how he calls the clown and Shepherd's rise in status 'preposterous' but they feel complimented as they think he means 'prosperous'.

The audience also notes a similarity between Sicilia and Bohemia, the rulers both use vulgar language in regard to a woman. Leontes calls Hermione an adulteress and considers burning her on stake along with Perdita on the bases of treason. Polixenes calls Perdita 'prettiest lowborn lass' and threatens to have her face 'scratched with briers' if she ever sees Florizel again. The audience notice hypocrisy in both the kingdoms. Leontes relays his imaginations of how Hermione waits for darkness to be with Polixenes so no one can see them or how she is able to hide her adultery from everyone, this makes them question: how does he know how she's fooling him so well? Has he been in that kind of a situation? As Shakespeare has left the reason behind Leontes' jealousy to our imagination, we can also question whether he thinks that if he can cheat on her what's stopping her from cheating on him? Similarly we see Polixenes talk about bastard born flowers with Perdita and try to convince her how human art improves and compliments nature and talks of how when lower breed flowers are mixed with higher breed they result in a better breed, yet, he refuses to allow Perdita to marry his son simply because she is a shepherd's daughter and it can be argued that if he hadn't realised Perdita is Leontes' daughter he wouldn't have allowed Florizel to marry her still and maybe even would have punished her for daring to run away with him. Another hypocrisy is displayed by the Shepherd and the clown, they love Perdita and keep her with them when she brings them riches and good fortune but as soon as they are threatened by Polixenes they try everything they can to prove that they are not related to her and suddenly she becomes a 'cursed girl', according to the Shepherd. This cements Sicilia and Bohemia as one and the same as Leontes and Polixenes once were as children and it signifies that there is good and bad everywhere, one country can not be entirely pure and nor can the other be entirely cruel, considering how it is Sicilia where everyone reunites and where the rebirth of Hermione takes place.

Shakespeare juxtaposes Sicilia and Bohemia to strengthen the idea that even in the most negative moments, positive moments can follow. We see winter in Leontes' court during Hermione's trial and death. This is followed by a scene in Bohemia where the people are participating in a sheep shearing festival. We see flowers everywhere, as apposed to icy atmosphere in Sicilia we feel a breeze of fresh spring air in Bohemia. In Sicilia we hear Leontes' vulgar language, the courtier's begging to have mercy on Hermione, her sad yet graceful testimony, the news of death and the audience gasping in fear, meanwhile we hear music, Autolycus's songs and commentary and laughter among the audience in Bohemia. This contrast helps focus on Perdita too as while she is in Sicilia, before Leontes' jealousy gets the best of him, Sicilia is a happy and wealthy country as can be seen by Camillo and Archidemas's conversation, when she is moved to Bohemia wealth and happiness follow her there and bless the shepherd's home, then when she is forced to move to Sicilia we see happy tears and reunions. This is important as it enhances the spiritual aspects of the play, the fact that the future of Sicilia rests upon fulfilment of the Oracle's revelation and Hermione's rebirth are complimented by Perdita's goddess-like presentation and the allow the audience to become involved in the fairytale-like play.