Americanah: Social and Political Issues

Q. Discuss the social and political issues addressed in 'Americanah' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Adichie sets 'Americanah' in two different regions: The West and Africa. She displays a contrast between Nigeria and the West in the first half of the novel through Ifemelu and Obinze's flashbacks. Then we are shown Nigeria, in the second half of the novel, through now mature and reunited Ifemelu and Obinze. These contrasting pictures allow the readers to dwell over the social and political environment of Nigeria and to meditate over the lives of young men and women who returned to their country in hopes of contributing to its development.

Adichie skilfully depicts social gatherings such that the deep rooted corruption of Nigeria is revealed. She illustrated Obinze unable to acquire a decent job and his desperation leading him to the doors of a 'Big Man' called Chief. We see how people act around him, showering him with compliments, and subtly asking for help, knowing that he earns his wealth and contacts through corruption. Here Adichie expresses the power money has over the people of Nigeria. Once Obinze becomes one of the 'Big Men' he starts receiving calls from people who had cut contact with him such as Emenike. He now receives visas easily compared to when he was still struggling with finances. Nigerian seem to believe that wealth brings superiority and rights that one would not be able to exercise otherwise, as we are shown Obinze is regarded as humble because 'he did not flaunt his membership in a wealthy club...and because so many others like him exercised these rights, his choices were interpreted as humility.'

Adichie emphasises on how corruption has been around for longer than Ifemelu and Obinze's adulthood by presenting their college days and the lives of the older generation. We are shown how the youth is forced to leave the country, to search for opportunity elsewhere, when the strikes become common and universities are often shut down. We see how the present generation accepts corruption as a part of the system when Obinze is sitting together with other powerful men and the subject of politics is brought up. Adichie illuminates a contrast here by depicting how Ifemelu's father refused to be unprofessional by calling his Boss 'Mummy' and then trying to find a respectable job when he is fired. We also sense this moral of fair play in Obinze's mother who is a university professor, she complains about he strikes and goes to work when she she can but she is not seen using unlawful means of acquiring any sort of wealth. It can be said though, that Adichie is contradicting the presented morals of the older generation by introducing Aunty Uju and Aunty Onenu. Aunty Uju at first seems like a sensible woman but then she falls in love with a General who gives her job and wealth on immoral terms. They have an illegitimate child and when the General dies, Aunty Uju is forced to flee Nigeria when people come to claim the wealth of the General. Aunty Onenu is presented as the creator of a woman's magazine but we see, much to Ifemelu's dismay, the magazine talks about no real issues and the women who are interviewed in it are the ones who bribe Aunty Onenu and tend to only talk about their wealth of children. Furthermore this magazine is seen to have started up only to defeat Aunty Onenu's rival's magazine in popularity. Thus Aunty Onenu reflects the system of Nigeria depending on corruption and giving unfair advantages to the wealthy who use their voice only to gloat. Furthermore we see a society in which instead of helping each other to grow, people are caught up in petty competitions against each other.

Adichie also touches on media manipulation in Nigeria when Ifemelu is frightened by the news in America and Aunty Uju says that it is worse in Nigeria where the news is either not reported or censored, perhaps in order to keep the corruption secret and to not cause an uproar among the people who struggle to live lawfully, among others who strive on crime. Similarly we are shown obvious class differences through the representation of houses, education, company and how westernised one is. We notice how Aunty Onenu's house is gaudily extravagant to show off her wealth, how the wealthy refuse to send their children to Nigeria schools and instead insist on western education, they also enjoy extravagant parties. All this can be found in the kind of company Obinze is with once he becomes rich, we are also shown that this is not how all Nigerians behave as Obinze is seen to prefer Nigerian schools over a British school. It can be said that these practices ave become a part of their culture as Adichie expresses the contrast between Nigeria and The West: 'Third Worlders are forward looking, we like things new, because our best is still ahead, while in the West their best is already past.' Ironically, the corruption and the shameless acceptance of it, tells a different story: one that suggests Nigeria might be going backwards instead of forwards with its development.

Adichie also highlights the social milieu of Nigeria through discussions of marriage, racism, gender inequality and religion. Marriage is not based on love but money, based on who can maintain one the best. This is first said by Priya and then repeated by a friend of Obinze whom urged him to forget about divorcing Kosi for Ifemelu and called it 'white people behaviour'. This emphasises on how Nigerians lives perhaps revolve around money making them forget basic human emotions and fight to reach the top. It is ironic how a divorce is condemned and related to 'white people' yet the idea of a fair complexion is a favoured one. To be while is to be more relevant as is seen by the advice Obinze receive: ' You will see how doors will open for you because you have an ayinbo General Manger..This is how Nigeria works.' Nigerians perhaps consider western people superior to themselves. To be white is also seen as more beautiful considering Kosi's fair complexion is praised and girls with darker complexions are made to use fairness cream, which usually contain dangerous cancer-causing chemicals.

A woman's hair in Nigeria is put under chemicals in order to relax it, even in the West Ifemelu has to relax it in order to not look like a stereotype African, often being called things like 'jungle' when she wears her hair naturally. We notice that African women generally do not consider their natural hair beautiful. It also symbolises the controlling of women through religion and cultural restraints. Ifemelu's mother is depicted to e a firm believer of the church and expects the same of Ifemelu, but we see Ifemelu realising the church's corruption, how they take unlawful money and celebrate undeserving names, so she does not go down that path. Kosi, on the other hand, is similar to Ifemelu's mother. She follows the church's words religiously and teaches her daughter to do so as well: 'When Buchi said "Amen"...Obinze feared she would grow up to be a woman who, with that word "Amen" would squash the questions she wanted to ask of the world.'. This is further emphasised by how questioning adults is seen as disrespectful in Nigeria while we see Ifemelu finding out the same act is simply a discussion in America. This gives a sense of suspicion, are the adults teaching kids not to talk back to them so they can fill their brains with falsehood? Like what the church is doing with its followers? Is that why Obinze fears for Buchi?

Another form of such manipulation is the church teaching women that 'Big Men' cheat but they must remember their duties and be submissive wives that is why when Kosi realises Obinze is cheating on her she does not retaliate, only reminds him of his duties set upon him by their society and lived on as if nothing happened. Here Adichie expresses the demeaning role women are taught to take in Nigeria. She depicts how Nigerian women consider Ifemelu a husband repellent and how powerful men use young girls like how Don uses Raniyido and the General uses Aunty Uju as long as they are submissive. The most part is that it is expected of these men, like Don makes a half hearted pass at Ifemelu. Furthermore, we see how many women like Raniyido and Esther consider getting married their biggest goal in life and how women are manipulated into considering themselves as less than men, like how Kosi apologises for having a baby girl instead of a boy as if it is implanted in her brain that the latter is better. Thus Adichie allows readers to contemplate on the unfairness of the situation in Nigeria and dwell over their own country's social set up.

Adichie has exposed many parts of a third world country that are often not revealed to the world. I can even relate this with my own homeland which is a developing country as well. It is perhaps true that we have lost ourselves to corruption in the race to become developed. It is not unusual to face discrimination whether it be your skin colour or your gender identity. The fact that the ending of Americanah is ambiguous has one guessing if a solution to such corruption and racism in the West, exists? Yet Adichie has presented a ray of hope in the form of Ifemelu and Obinze , they are open minded adults who refuse to accept corruption as a norm and use their platforms to spread awareness. Obinze provides tuition for children in villages so that with good education they might grow up to realise the lies around them. Ifemelu exposes the society through her blog urging adults to debate and question the state of their country. Thus we are shown that the educated youth can bring their country prosperity.