Chapter 1: Penny's Coming Home

"You did that?!" I said with a chuckle escaping my mouth. "Yes, I actually put the file in the rival team's locker." "Oh my, what did he ever do to you?" I asked in an innocent voice.

"He put hair dye in my shampoo," he replied while laughing his head off. "That was a rhetorical question," I said laughing. "I know," he said in a matter of fact tone while laughing. This was the first time I'd been on a date with someone since Josh and I, and I was having fun."One more question," he then looked at me like it was the most serious matter on earth."Uh-huh," I nodded. "Do you eat meat?" "Oh yes I do, chicken is life!" I screamed a little too loud. We both burst out laughing, but then stopped when my phone rang. "Hello?" I answered. It was Josh, "Penny's coming home," he replied happily. Better cut this date short.*

*********************************************************

After Mr. Zac committed suicide, Penny started school. Took her a little longer than the rest of us but she was doing well.

Now her first year was ending and she was coming home for the summer. When my dad died of another heart attack, Josh and I moved into an apartment close to granny's old house.

Yes, we're still just friends, like when we were in high school. But Mr. Zac just kind of got in the way and nothing ever happened again between us.

Penny was also living with us in our first few years of college but college ended for us and started for her. She got into a university in Cleveland so she was living there in a dorm.

But she'd come back for summer.

**********************************************************

I walked through the door only to discover Josh doing dishes. "What the" I said before getting cut off. "Could you fix the pillows over there please," He said pointing over to the couch.

"Since when do you do dishes?" I said fluffing pillows. "Since Penny will be here tomorrow," Let's just say Penny and him well, have an "interest" in each other.

"Tomorrow?" I gave him a questioning look then continued. "I didn't know she was coming home so soon," I said walking into the kitchen.

"She said she didn't want to waste the summer," "Mm, I bet she doesn't. Well, I'm going to go to bed." "Sure just make sure your room is clean in the morning.

"Whatever," I said walking into the hallway. I woke up the next morning at five. Which is rare seeing as the neighbor's dog usually woke me up at four.

Man, I wish I was a heavy sleeper like Josh. I got up for a glass of water to take the pills that are supposed to help me sleep. When I don't wake up early because of the dog, I wake up because I still have those horrifying nightmares.

They mostly consist of Mr. Zac's dead body along with the butchered deer on a blood-soaked bed. The doctor said, "These will help you sleep."

Tell me, how can you sleep when every time you close your eyes you see a dead animal's insides? No answer? I don't know either.

I just wake up shaking badly and my heart pounding against my chest. It's traumatizing, and this happens nearly every day.

The doctor said to double the amount until it helps but if I double it anymore I'll be in the hospital for an overdose. I sat comfortably on the couch, watching TV, seeing as Josh wasn't waking up anytime soon...

**********************************************************

"What time is it?" Josh said while yawning, he walked into the room. "Seven," I replied. "How late was it when you went to bed?" I asked.

"Two, I think." "And what were you doing with that time?" I said while wondering what possibly he could have done. "Let's see, I finished the dishes, I cleaned my room, did the laundry, made up Penny's room, had a snack, did the dishes again and went to bed."

"Whoa," I replied. "I'm hungry," He said walking in the kitchen over to the pantry grabbing a protein bar.

"What are you doing? Just get some oatmeal like I did." All the sudden Josh turned around wearing the most disturbing look I've ever seen.

"What did I do?" I said questioning his look. He ran over to the sink and yelled "Are you serious?! Why are there dishes in here?" He screamed his expression a cross between anger and panic.

"One cup was for water the other was for my milk and the bowl was for my oatmeal," I replied. "What about the plate?" He asked angrily with a furious look on his face.

"Oh, and the plate was for my crackers. "I said calmly not worrying for any consequences. "Now I have to do the dishes all over again! "He yelled frantically.

"Better get cracking'. Penny will be here in 10." "Uh Oh!" He yelled stuffing his mouth with a protein bar and racing to the sink.

10 MINUTES LATER

Josh and I both heard someone opening the door, we knew it was Penny. The door opened and, "Surprise!" She yelled. We jumped up and hugged her.]

This is going to be the best summer ever, I can tell.