Chapter 19

It would be another three weeks before Hannah was able to get some time off to go to Qatar. By that time, Mikayla and Damien had already returned from their two-week honeymoon in the Seychelles.

"Come on Hannah, take one with me pleaaaaaase!" Mikayla begged.

They currently sat on the window seat in Mikayla's large master bathroom with various unopened boxes of different brands of home pregnancy tests in front of them.

"Fine!" Hannah mumbled as she agreed.

Mikayla and Damien had been trying to get pregnant for months. They had started to try before the Tobago wedding. Mikayla's period was late, but since she was not on birth control anymore, she was not sure if it was due to her being pregnant or from having an irregular period caused by her PCOS.

After taking the various tests, the women sat and waited. Hannah's test laid to the left of the sink, while Mikayla's five tests were resting to the right.

"You are so thorough," Hannah said with a smile as she held Mikayla's hand.

Replying with a cheeky grin, "Well I learned from the best!"

Mikayla continued to laugh as she briefly reminisced on an incident when Hannah had had her own pregnancy scare back in secondary school.

Hannah grumbled, "Don't remind me!"

When the timer on her phone went off, Mikayla squeezed Hannah's hand even tighter before letting go, as she slowly stood up and went to look at the tests. Hannah sat in silence as she watched Mikayla pick up each individual test. The look of disappointment increasing each time while her brown eyes scanned over each one.

"Well, we're both not pregnant..." Mikayla said with a sigh.

"Come here," Hannah suddenly stood and hugged her best friend tightly, "It's okay Miks, it's only been about three months. Didn't the doctor say give it at least six? Don't worry okay, you will get pregnant, just give it some time."

Mikayla simply nodded as she hugged her back.

"I mean it, don't stress yourself out, it will only hinder things. Just focus on getting as much penissssssss as possible," Hannah joked, trying to lighten the mood as she kissed Mikayla's forehead.

The way in which Hannah said the word penis was always a sure way to get Mikayla laughing.

"Is it bad that I kinda wished that your test came back positive?" Mikayla shyly asked as they exited the bathroom and made their way downstairs.

"Woman! We're focusing on you right now, not me! Besides, don't you think that I've been through enough life-changing events for the year as it is? I have a boyfriend, I'm in love, come on now, don't be greedy Miks!" Hannah scolded.

Though, if she was being honest with herself, she had experienced a rush of anxiety as she waited for the results of her own test. Even though she was on birth control, it was not 100% effective and she had been having unprotected sex with Tariq since day one.

Hannah was not sure what she had felt when the test came back negative, but a small part of her had been disappointed. The thought of carrying a child no longer frightened her and, even more so, the thought of carrying Tariq's baby made a small smile come to her lips.

"Speaking of life-changing events, are you nervous to meet Tariq's parents? Your flight leaves tomorrow, are you ready?" Mikayla asked as they walked into the kitchen.

Raising her left eyebrow as she sat at the island, "What do you think Miks! Of course I'm not ready! I'm so tempted to run away and hide."

"Don't you dare!" Mikayla exclaimed.