Chapter 23

"What do you mean I'm pregnant?" Hannah sputtered in disbelief before asking, "Wait, what about you?"

Shaking her head, Mikayla replied, "Not this time, maybe next time."

Hannah's eyes widened as she looked down at the pregnancy test again. She could not believe that she was expecting. Mikayla immediately had her take the four other brands of tests that she had in the bathroom.

"Here, pee on these!" Mikayla instructed eagerly.

While the women waited for the results, Hannah sat, wondering how this was possible. She was due to start her period any day now. Although, now that she thought about it, she had noticed that her flow for her last cycle a few weeks ago had not been as extensive as usual.

It was not uncommon for Hannah to experience light bleeding instead of a heavier flow, especially when stressed. Given how hectic the last few weeks had been, she had not paid much attention to it.

After a few minutes of waiting, all four tests came out positive and Hannah felt a mixture of emotions. On the one had she was happy, but as she looked at her best friend, she could not help but feel sad. Noticing the emotions that played across Hannah's face, Mikayla moved to hug her.

"I know what you're thinking, and I want you to stop it right now!" Mikayla scolded.

"But... it should be you, I don't deserve this," Hannah choked up, fresh tears forming.

It broke Mikayla's heart to hear her best friend say such a thing. She could not help but hold the blonde in an even tighter embrace as she shook her head in disagreement.

"Don't say that! You deserve all the happiness in the world Hannah!" Mikayla countered.

"I can't help it Miks!" Hannah exclaimed as she went on to say, "You've been trying to get pregnant for months now and here I go and get knocked up on accident!"

Smiling lightly through her own tears, she smoothened Hannah's hair, "Listen to me... you were on birth control and still got pregnant. Sure, the pill isn't 100% but the probability is so small that we should look at this as a miracle, not an accident!" Mikayla said before adding, "You were clearly meant to get pregnant; I know that you will be an amazing mother. And yes, I wish that I could be pregnant too, but what did you tell me a few weeks ago?"

"Whether it's your womb or mine, once one of us is pregnant, we're both pregnant..." Hannah recited what she had said the last time they had taken the pregnancy tests.

"Exactly, so this is my baby too." Mikayla grinned as she pulled back a bit to rest her hand on Hannah's still flat tummy.

"But I want you to have a baby too!" Hannah sniffled.

"And I will! It's like you said, it's just going to take some time for me. Look at it this way, at least with you being pregnant I can focus on helping you so whenever my time comes, we'll both know what to do," Mikayla said reassuringly, her smile bright, letting Hannah know that she was so happy to be sharing this moment with her.

Nodding, Hannah replied wittily, "I guess it was fate that I would be the guinea pig huh?"

Mikayla could not help but laugh out loudly as she said, "Sorry hun, but hey, you can take one for the team!"

"Is it okay if we don't tell the guys for now? I want to go to the doctor first," Hannah stated.

"Of course, let me know when you make the appointment so that I can come with you," Mikayla replied, understanding.

"I'm so scared Miks," she whispered.

Hugging her once more, Mikayla said, "It's okay, just remember that you're not alone."