16| the breaking of the fellowship

The hideous screech of the Uruk pierced my ears. As the body collapsed to the floor still trembling, I pulled apart the top of my tunic, glancing down at the ring sitting upon my chest. The stone seemed to shine with a warm glow, pulsing in brightness and colour against my skin.

My eyes widened as I struggled to catch my breath.

I knew the knives were special but I truly had no idea. A million questions whizzed into my mind. The knives were linked to Amarya? But how? Why?

I was speechless, unable to comprehend what on earth I just witnessed.

What did Galadriel give to me?

As the dying screech of the Uruk faded out, so did the gold light and the pulsating of my ring on my chest.

Aragorn lay on the floor panting as he watched the entire scene unfold. His eyes were wide with shock as the light died, the shrivelled corpse of the Uruk captain before his eyes.

"Wh-"

"Don't...please don't ask," my hands trembled by my side, "for I don't have the answers."

Suddenly, I remembered.

"Boromir," I breathed as I scrambled to where the man lay against a tree.

Blood stained his three wounds, a dark crimson spreading across his clothes as he gulped in air, struggling to breath.

"No, no, Boromir," I dropped to my knees, placing my hands over his wounds.

I could feel the roughly torn flesh, the deep puncture along with each and every broken blood vessel now unable to mend itself.

"Daeriel?" He weakly asked, voice barely audible, "Have I...regained my honour now?"

"You never lost it," I responded, my voice trembling.

I could feel his breath grow weaker.

"Boromir, please stay with me." I pleaded. "I can try to heal you."

The man smiled weakly.

"It is over. I am spent."

Shaking my head, I concentrated all my willpower, feeling the familiar prickling tingle run through my veins, focusing it all to my two hands.

I felt Aragorn's hands on my shoulder.

"Daeriel, you know you can't-"

"No!" I shot back, trying to keep my voice level, "I lost the hobbits, I will not lose him too."

The palms of my hands grew increasingly hot as I tried to mend the countless tears in the wound. My sight grew blurry, and everything warped as black spots danced across my vision.

But I persisted, focusing all my energy as I reached out to Boromir's fading spirit.

I felt everything drain from me as I channeled all my energy to the wounds, trying desperately to stop the bleeding and mend the punctured organs.

An intense pain erupted from within my mind, as if something was gnawing at my brain. My ears rang and all around me, the world began to fade to darkness.

I picked up distorted pieces of speech.

"...Daeriel...

                        "...Daeriel..."

                                               "...Daeriel"

"Daeriel!"