Chapter 9

"Hey K, where are you taking us?" I asked him.

"To the Elites' 'base'" He said, making quotation marks with his fingers when he said base.

"But... won't they freak out from how we look?" I asked him.

"They already know what I look like. They wouldn't be shocked when they see two more fox/wolf bipedal with me. At least, I hope so." He stated.

"Puro would really like to meet those humans! They were lucky enough to survive the epidemic!" Puro exclaimed excitedly.

"I'm not so thrilled... what if they attack us because of our appearance?" I asked K.

"That won't happen. I already told you, they know what I look like. And even if they attack us, there wouldn't be anyone else to help them." K reassured me.

"Well... I guess that's true... I just hope that's true." I muttered.

We had to walk out of the dead city to get to this 'base'. I wonder why they were not living in the city, but hey, whatever I guess.

"Hey K, how many Elites were there?" I asked him.

"10." K replied.

"Only that much?" Puro asked.

"Yes. The rest died, while some survived the epidemic, but died of other complications." K said, keeping his answers a bit vague.

"Oh..." Puro mumbled.

We finally reached the base. It seemed more like a huge bunker. So this is where they lived?

Dr.K walked up to the bunker and typed some passcode into the keypad attached to the wall. The keypad was pretty similar to the one back at the building.

When he entered the passcode, a big hiss came from the door, and it opened slightly. K ushered us over to the door. Then, slowly, he opened it.

The smell from inside the bunker hit us, making me sneeze from the strong smell.

"Damn... it's so dusty in here," I commented as we went in.

But K wasn't listening. Instead, K had a worried look on his face.

"Th-they're gone..." He whispered.

"What?" Puro asked him.

"They're gone." K said again, a bit more louder than last time.

Silence hung in the air.

"Wh- wha- no! They can't be gone!" I cried, looking around. I saw some doors, and opened them. All of them were empty. There was only food and other resources in them. No humans. However, in one room, I found a note on a table. I snatched it and rushed over to K and Puro.

"Look! I found this!" I exclaimed, waving the paper in the air.

I handed the piece of paper over to K, who started reading it.

Dear Dr,

We were running out of food and water because the food was getting spoilt, and the water was finishing fast. We weren't going to survive if this continued. We knew that you would give us more food to eat later, but we couldn't bear it anymore.

We decided to go over to the next town. We know that it is miles away, and we might possibly die along the way, but it's better to die doing something instead of watching as our lives slowly get taken away from us.

Thank you for whatever you have done for us.

-Hanna, Jaime, Ben, Dave, Ann, Lory, Gamma, Harry, Temid, Isan.

Dr. K finished reading the letter, then dropped the paper down. A disappointed and sad expression invaded his face.

He dropped to his knees, his face hung low. Me and Puro rushed over to him as he dropped.

"K! Are you alright?!" Puro yelled, holding K's arm while I held K's other arm.

We helped him up to his knees. He seemed like he was going to cry.

"...I can't do anything right..." K whispered. I saw a single tear roll down his face.

"What?" I asked.

"I can't do anything right!" K broke down, dropping to his knees again. His red eyes were glazed with tears and puffy. The fur around them became matted.

"Dr.K! Please don't cry! C'mon, let's go back to the house." I said trying to pull him. "Puro, help me!"

Puro came over and helped me pull Dr.K out of the base. Suddenly, I felt K falling over, so I quickly grabbed him steadily. I looked at his face. He was unconscious. Probably exhausted from all the crying and all the work he has done non-stop. He barely gets any rest as far as I know.

K was very heavy, too heavy for me to haul him all the way back to the house.

"Puro... We need to carry him." I said. Puro's face lightened up a little.

"Leave it to Puro, human! Puro will do all he can to help you!" He exclaimed, taking K's body from me. I smiled a little. Puro always gets excited when someone asks for his help. He becomes very cute when he's excited. He was too cute for me to correct him for calling me 'human'.

We hauled him all the way back, me and Puro taking turns carrying along the way. After all, Puro can only handle so much amount of work.

After 2 tiring hours, we reached the house me and Puro call 'home'.

We threw open the door and dragged K inside. We entered the bedroom he stayed in last night and threw him over the bed.

I looked at K's sleeping figure, concerned for him. Why did he suddenly break down like that? What did he mean by saying that he couldn't do anything right?

I decided to ask him the morning. Suddenly, I felt my body being lifted up by two arms.

"Hey!" I turned around to see Puro smiling at me. I blushed slightly when he snuggled into me.

"C'mon Lin! We need to go to sleep now!" Puro said as his voice was muffled by my fur. I laughed as it tickled me.

"Okay okay Puro, let's go." I smiled.

Puro carried me into our bedroom and set me down on the bed. He quickly got into the covers with me and snuggled into me. I smiled and snuggled back.

I yawned as I finally fell asleep, with Puro right beside me to comfort me if I have any nightmares.

----------------------------XXXXXXXXX------------------------

A shitty chapter by a shitty writer! Keep it going, me!