02. demeter

*i made a little aesthetic for demeter*

Demeter, the middle sister, between Hera and Hestia

Demeter, the middle sister, between Hera and Hestia. She commonly wore a crown made of corn leaves, and wore gowns made of poppies. This was because she was the goddess of Grain, Agriculture, Harvest, Growth and Nourishment.

Her symbols were the Cornucopia, Wheat-Ears, Winged Serpent, and Lotus Staff, while her sacred animals were known to be pigs and snakes.

After her sister Hestia decided she wasn't going to get married, Demeter was the first to get a male's attention. Despite many thinking that Demeter was soft and kind-hearted, she was also a badass. One of her names was Demeter Khrysaoros, which meant 'the lady with the golden blade'.

All her brothers proposed to her, and she rejected all three of them. But Zeus was persistent, as we all know he just never gives up. He continued pursuing her, and he followed her around, begging for her affection, tempting her with the offer of being Queen, considering he was the King of the Universe, but she didn't care.

She got so fed up with him, that she turned herself into a serpent and hid in the forest, but one of Zeus' many skills involved transforming into whatever his selfish heart desired, and so he turned into a serpent and followed her. He managed to trap her in a narrow tunnel, the both of them still serpents. Demeter had no way of getting out, and there was no space for her to change form.

Zeus had her where he wanted her, and months later, out popped their baby, Persephone, or as she was known then, Kore. They never got married, but Demeter loved her daughter with all her heart, to the point where it might have been a little obsessive, and kinda unhealthy.

Her next encounter was with Poseidon, years later. She walked down the beach, when he came up to her. And just like Zeus, he pursued his sister. But, she didn't want anything to do with him, so as she looked around for an escape, she glimpsed a bunch of horses, and decided to transform into one, and hid in their midst.

But, she seemed to forget that Poseidon could turn into a horse as well, and he created and controlled horses. He caught her scent, and had the horses trap her before he had his way with her.

Months later, she gave birth to twins; except one was a goddess, and the other was a stallion. The horse grew to be a super fast immortal horse named Arion, that assisted Herakles.