02. the beautiful arrogant man

narcissus and echo

------

Echo was a nymph who loved the sound of her own voice so much that she talked and talked and literally never shut up. But, that got her in trouble, because one day, Hera came looking for her husband, believing him to be fooling around with some nymphs. 

Echo found the goddess and just kept on talking to her, causing the goddess to get angry, and never end up finding Zeus, so she cursed Echo. "You shall forfeit the use of that tongue with which you have cheated me, except for that one purpose you are so fond of—reply. You shall still have the last word, but no power to speak first."

And from then on, Echo could never speak, all she could do was repeat the words of those who spoke before her. 

But, she had seen Narcissus one day, and had fallen deeply in love with him, but because of her curse, he was disgusted and he rejected her. She was so sad that she merely walked around the forest, repeating what people said until she wasted away to just a voice, an echo. 

Narcissus however had glimpsed his face in the water and had fallen in love with the beauty that he didn't know was his reflection. He kept reaching out and talking to the reflection, and received no response, causing him to sadden. 

He stayed there until he wasted away and in his place grew a beautiful flower by the name of Narcissus.