06. oh my god polyphemus stfu

the story of the greatest hero of all time - odysseus

------

It is said that Odysseus was married to a woman called Penelope, and they had a son named Telemachus. Odysseus was often called 'Odysseus the Cunning' because he had a quick and cleever mind. Romans changed his name to Ulysses, and that is what is most commonly known as now. 

He was proud and quite arrogant, but a master of disguise and an excellent military commander and ruler. 

Everything started when Paris of Troy kidnapped Helen, the wife of Menelaus, the king of Sparta. Menelaus was very PISSED, and he called on all the kings of Greece, including Odysseus, who had all vowed to protect Helen's honour. 

Odysseus tried to escape the promise by pretending he was insane, but the brother of Menelaus, Agamemnon proved his lie, and so Odysseus set out for Troy with Agamemnon (lord of men), Achilles (the invincible), Nestor (the wise) and Teucer (master archer).

Odysseus, 10 years later, was the one who came up with the idea of using the wooden horse to trick the Trojans. The Greek deserted Troy, leaving only a massive wooden horse on wheels. In the morning, the Trojans found the horse and believed it to be a gift to the gods, to ensure safe travels for the Greek. So, the wheeled the horse into the city, and celebrated the end of the war. 

But, what they did not know, was that Odysseus made the horse hollow, and inside, hid a few Greek warriors. The plan was to gain entry through the horse, and then open the gates for the rest of the army. And they did. Thanks to Odysseus, the Greeks won the Trojan war, and Odysseus and his men set sail for their homeland, Ithaca. 

Their journey home would be full of adventure. They set sail from Troy aboard 12 ships. Days later, they saw land, and the second-in-command, Eurylochus, convinced Odysseus to lay down the anchor, go ashore and attack the city to make sure they would not be harmed. 

The people of the city, the Cinconians, fled to the nearby mountains, and Odysseus and his men attacked the empty city, and took everything from it. After a heart meal, and lots of wine, they fell asleep on the shore. 

In the morning, the Ciconians returned and killed as many of the warriors as they possible could. A few of them returned to the ships, and Odysseus was angry at himself for listening to Eurylochus. Odysseus and Eurylochus fought, but then were separated by the other men, and peace was returned once more. 

Their ships were blown of course, and they went towards the land of the Lotus-Eaters. Odysseus went to scout the land, and his men talked and mingled with the natives, eating the local lotus that grew there. Soon however, everything went hazy and the men found themselves asleep. 

The lotus that they ate was narcotic, and made them forget about their homeland and their families. They wanted to stay here forever and eat the lotus for the rest of their lives. Odysseus and some other men had to carry them onto the ships and bind them to the mast to stop them from climbing overboard and swimming back. 

After more weeks of sailing, they happened upon another land. Odysseus and some of his men went ashore to search the land. They found a massive cave and entered it to find it was the home of a giant being. They found some sheep and slaughtered them because they were hungry. 

But what they did not know was that this was the home of Polyphemus, the Cyclops, and this land was the home of the Cyclopes.

When Polyphemus returned to his cave, he blocked the entrance with a massive boulder, as he always did. Odysseus and his men ran to the entrance, and found it blocked. Polyphemus saw them, and asked who they were, and Odysseus told them that they were sea-fares who were lost and simply looking for food.