ch 2

I keep my eyes fixed on the Audi as it signals into our lane ahead of us and turns right into our school's parking lot. I see it park in the senior section lot as Caleb pulls in the junior lot. He is a grade above me seeing as we are a year apart. Some say we could pass as twins, but I don't see much of it especially with our height differences.

"Tris!!!" A familiar squeak comes from across the lot as I open the door. I see Christina running towards me with boyfriend Will being pulled behind her like an owner over taken by an ambitious pup. She shoves herself into my side and throws her arm around me as we walk towards the open doors. I see Caleb veer off and I hear Christina ask me why I hadn't texted her this morning.

Reaching into my jean pocket I realize I left it under my pillow. Oh well. "Yeah. Sorry. Forgot it at home. What is your schedule?"

We compare schedules and she does her squeaking thing again as she speaks with excitement, "Three classes! Homeroom, math, and gym." She continues, "Oh did you hear they are combining the gym classes together because of some funding cut backs. See the "S" beside our class", she points to her schedule and I notice she has picked at her polish, probably a nervous habit. "that means our class will be combined with a senior class".

"Cool." I say it with absolutely no interest and I think she picks up on it because she says her and Will have to set up their lockers so she will meet me in homeroom. I smile and nod an OK to her. Before reaching the front doors I look towards the senior lot and realize I must have missed whoever he was enter our school.

Locker number 46. Code: right 4 left 6 right 10. "Well that is easy enough to remember." I say it out loud. I hear a deep chuckle and look to my left and see Al starring at me about three lockers down.

"Still talking to yourself Tris. You haven't changed a bit."

"Al!" I say astonished. "When did you get back to Chicago?" Al left our eighth grade year for some personal issues, but no one really knows the whole story.

He walks over to me and leans on the locker next to mine. "About a month ago. I didn't have your number or I would have called." He smiles shyly. He is tall and handsome, but just not my type. Not like that anyway. The bell rings for homeroom to begin and I notice the halls are about empty. "Well maybe I can get your number later Tris. I'll see you around." He walks down the hall and I don't wait to see if he looks back towards me.

I run down hall D to my homeroom and slam into a large figure. The impact felt like I hit a wall, but that wasn't even close to the impact of awe after I look up and see those drowning brown eyes.