ch 24

Tobias POV

Zeke and I were sitting on the couch playing mortal combat when I hear my phone go off. "Don't do it man." Zeke warns me, but I drop the controller anyway and reach for my phone. It is ten o'clock and I have been impatiently waiting to hear from Tris. "Man! I'm not going to wait I'm just going to sit here kicking you until your life bar is K.O.ed."

"Whatever man." I laugh off his threat and unlock my phone.

Hey you. -Tris

Hey beautiful. How was dinner? -Tobias

It was good. I need to tell you something...-Tris

Those three tiny dots after something is like three cold knives being thrown straight through my heart and soul. That something could be anything. Anything scares me when it comes to Tris. Was I reading these last couple days wrong? Did I come on too strong? My head is spinning with question after question. Cold fear.

My fingers trip over themselves as I text, What is it? -Tobias

The small amount of time it takes her to text me back feels like I was drowning in an eternity of seconds.

I miss you. -Tris

I sigh out the relief and breath in the bliss lighting up from my phone's screen.

Damnit Tris you scared me. I miss you too. -Tobias

I am sorry :( forgive me? -Tris

I'll think about it. -Tobias

Tobias? I hate to say this, but I really need some sleep.-Tris

I hear Zeke tapping on the controller trying to get my attention. I look out of the corner of my eye and see him form his hand into a gun acting like he is blowing his brains out. I shake my head at him and continue to text.

I understand. Zeke is hassling me to play another match on this game anyway. Goodnight Tris. -Tobias

Goodnight Tobias. I will see you tomorrow. -Tris

And with that I set my phone down and continue playing the match against Zeke. He kept it paused like he said he wouldn't. Predictable Zeke.

---------------------------------------------

Zeke went to school today and even though I know Tris would be upset by my gesture in asking him to keep an eye on her, I just needed a reinsurance in place. I try to ignore the clock, but the room feels silent. My ears trained themselves to listen to the tick tock of the clock making me sandwich my head between my pillows.

I hear my ring-tone snare at me. Picking it up peeking through my pillows at it I see Marcus's name flashing on the screen.

"Hello?"

"I see you haven't come home yet." His voice is cold, stone like.

"I don't plan on it."

"Well I am on my way to this conference so if you want any of your stuff you should get it while I am gone." Silence takes place of his voice, "Oh and leave the keys after."

"Okay." I am about to hang up, but I hear his chuckle alarming my nerves.

"Andrew Prior mentioned you have been hanging with his daughter. A little young for you don't you think?" SIlence. My anger peeks as he mentions Tris. "I still have an image to uphold Son. I..."

"I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR IMAGE! And don't call me your son" I tear the phone from my ear and hang up.

----------------------------------------------