33|

Snow Carr Northridge

         I was sitting alone, in the spacious living room staring at an empty space and trying to make sense of my life. I was already used to living with Ian, even though we never shared a room until yesterday and we barely ever talk to each other, it was weird having to live where he isn't.

         I thought back to the day he came here, for my homecoming party and...

      "Oh my God, White Princess!" I exclaimed. In my hurrying out of the house, I totally forgot about my puppy.  Well, maybe if Ian sees that I left her behind, he'll get the memo that we're done.  The jerk hasn't even calles me.

    I picked up my phone and I remembered I had switched it off in anger and so that I would avoid any calls. I decided to put it back on just to listen to the voicemails in case I missed something important. Surprisingly,  I had 14 voicemails and none were from Ian, 5 were from Savannah,  2 were from Leanne and 7 from mum.  All the voicemails bore messages that made me dash out of the house and make a run for the hospital. Royalty has given birth!!.

     "Stupid!, stupid!  Stupid!. Why did you switch off your phone Snow,  goddammit.  I wanted to be there!" I shouted at myself and then laughed at how insane I looked and probably sounded.  Thirty minutes later, I got out of the car and dashed inside.

      "Your highness" people muttered and bowed but I was in too much of a hurry to even acknowledge it. I got to the reception and I was immediately directed to the VIP section where her room was. 

       "Ro!" I exclaimed immediately I opened the door to the room and everyone was there,  yes!,  including Ian.  Savannah,  Leanne and mum all rushed at me and engulfed me in a breath seizing hug.

      "Guys, I.. Can't Breathe" I managed to say and they let me go. The hug was followed by a round of 'thank God you came and where have you been's.

       "Snow!. You had everyone worried" Royalty said when she could finally get a word in. Everyone hugged me,  including Seven. Dad didn't say a word, he just hugged me the longest but I got the message.  I was overwhelmed by how much they all loved me and that made me tear up.

        "a boy or a girl?" I asked, looking at the new mother,  she was looking so beautiful and Happy.

        "I have a new girl to love." Roland said and I laughed.  She's bound to be spoilt silly but I know Royalty won't tolerate any excesses, she's going to be a wonderful mum.

     I walked to her and hugged her, I wished her congratulations and I told her how sorry I am that I wasn't there when she was in labour.

      "It's fine darling.  I was tired of having everyone freak out,  besides it happened in the midnight,  We could only call Ian, he's such a chicken.  He got here in a second and he's been here since. Only excused himself to go bathe, almost as if he's scared I might go into another labour when he's not there" She said and realization made my bone ache. 

    I looked at him and our eyes met. He didn't say a word, he didn't even move from his position when everyone was hugging me, if not that he's looking at me right now, I'd say he didn't notice my entrance. I judged him and jumped into conclusions, while I was getting angry at the fact that he left me because he regretted touching,  he was here supporting his sister who was birthing a new life, shame and guilt burnt my eyes.

    "Don't you wanna see the baby?. Let Ian take you to the NCU" she said and I blinked.  I wanted to say no but at the same time,  I didn't want to make the whole thing so dramatic so I nodded and stepped out. A minute later,  he appeared behind me.

     "This way" He said, motioning to the left and I nodded and followed him. The air around us was as thick as a 7 inch mattress and it was sickening. A part of me wanted to apologize but then, it's not like he wanted me anyway.