5

'Now, Maria, before you start an argument with your husband, just calm down and think about the situation.'

I was still in shock over what I had just read. I was still going home though, so that should be counting for at least something. I was trying very hard to reason with myself on this trip home so that I was nice and calm before I saw Alexander again.

Thankfully, the cold, snow air outside was very helpful in cooling me down.

What made it worse is that no matter at what angle I looked at, she looked amazing in each and every way. Her dark curls were just as dark as Alexander's, and her hazelnut eyes shone like a Christmas bulb. Her figure was in way better shape than mine.

But, I did have an excuse for that.

I was in Russia for the past months and they cook deliciously. It's not my fault. Besides, I can't let food go to waste, that's just sin. Not my fault children in Africa are dying, because I actually make sure to eat all the food that's on my plate and sometimes I'm even responsible enough to eat the food on the table too.

'Maria, just shut up when you get home. You don't want to start an argument with your husband and ruin the next month of your revival plan. You need to carefully assess the situation. Let's start with the basics: Who the hell is she?'

I had no idea. I didn't even want to know, I just wanted her gone. I wanted to know what she wanted, but not who she was.

So what did the article mean when it said 'new sweetheart'? Did Alexander really give up on finding me and decided to find a new... sweetheart?

I wanted to be mad at him, but I just couldn't. I had done the same thing, hadn't I? Probably even worse, because I knew that I was in love with the guy. From the picture, it didn't really look like Alexander was in love.

However, what I didn't appreciate is that everyone in New York City knew about this. As soon as word came out that I had returned, it would shame my name and reputation that my husband was out sleeping with sweethearts while I was mysteriously away. Come to think about it...

Why didn't everyone know that I had returned? I had been here for at least 10 days, and new news can travel quite fast around here. Also, as far as I knew, Alexander had some say in the media. After all, he was very influential and held a lot of power and control. He would be able to take down an article or put one up. Which only means he didn't want people to know that I was here, and he also wanted people to know about his mistress.

As I got to the front door of my house, I decided that, although I was definitely upset with Alexander, I couldn't ask or say anything until I was also ready to tell him about Misha. I also knew that I in no way could stay mad at him, especially after I had done the same thing. And in the end, I knew that I would have to forgive him. But not now. I wanted to be upset for just a little longer.

I walked inside and immediately froze like an ice sculpture. Where was I?

The staircases were covered with garlands and snowflakes. It also smelled like... cinnamon? I hurried into the living room and gasped when I saw the fire was lit with the mantle covered in Christmas decorations: angels on both sides, little figurine snowmen and penguins, and a nativity set in the middle, and everything was glittering with lights. And of course, three pairs of stockings hung by the fire with care.

I slowly reached out and let my fingers trail over the names written in glittery red: Alexander, Maria, Baby Boy. I smiled at the last one. The stocking was very little and it had a toy train drawn on it with a light blue color. 

I turned to the tree and smiled. It was perfectly lit up and perfectly arranged. It seemed like every ornament was spaced out with ruler measurements. The ornaments were so gorgeous, just like the most exquisite ornaments I saw during my stroll through the winter city. I smiled and closed my eyes. Oh, it was so magical.