vīgintī trēs

It had been two days since it was announced that Dahlia would be wed do the God of Thunder

It had been two days since it was announced that Dahlia would be wed do the God of Thunder. It had been two days since the shadow cascaded over Loki yet again, and two days since the Princess lost her smile.

Hidden in her chambers, Asta was the only one allowed to see the Princess. She came in the morning to feed the Princess and bathe her; and then at lunch, and the last time at dinner. Asta felt completely terrible for the Princess; she could not fathom the feelings that Dahlia must be feeling.

No one could. Not even Loki.

Dahlia's freedom had been stripped away. The Princess never thought she would be wed; she always thought that after Loki, if there was an after, she would return home and rule on Alfheim. She would spend the rest of her life with her sister and mother by her side. She would rule the realm peacefully and with honor.

But being betrothed stripped that from her. She would never again live on Alfheim, she would only see her family a few hundred years, and she would be wed to a man that she didn't love. She would be forced into a marriage that she didn't belong in.

And being separated from Loki also broke her heart. She never truly thought of what would happen if they grew to be more serious. Dahlia looked to believe that one day they would wed, and he would sit beside her on Alfheim. They would introduce a new culture to her realm. She was okay with that. Even though it was just a day dream she would have from time to time. But even that was gone now too.

She longed to be back home. At this point, she wished she never left it. She did not want to sit on Asgard's throne alongside Thor. It was not because she did not care for Thor, she thought of him as a dear friend, but she did not love him and she did not want to wed him.

If the situation was reversed, and it was Loki she was betrothed too, she would feel the same way. She did care for him more ways than anyone in the universe, but she couldn't bare to be torn away from her people.

It was the morning of the third day when there was a knock at the door. Asta had already left for the day and would not return till noon. Dahlia looked at the door for a moment but did not move. She had no energy to.

The door opened slowly and the tall God of Thunder walked into the room. She could immediately see how awkward he felt, how out of place.

"Hello, Princess." Thor spoke. His hand rubbed the back of his neck. "You have not left your chambers in a few days. The people are wondering when they shall see my betrothed."

Dahlia looked at him for a moment before looking back at her book. Circles filled the pages; every word she wanted to ask Loki about when she saw him again.

Thor approached her before kneeling by her bed. "I suppose being my wife is that bad, huh?"

"It is not of that reason as to why I am upset." Dahlia told him with a sigh. She felt bad that he believed that to be the reason.

Thor smiled. "I know, Princess. I have come to you because I mourn for you. I am sorry about what my father has done. I wish we could change it. I understand that you and Loki are of an item, and I am very sorry to have come between."

Dahlia looked at the God. "It is not your fault. I do not blame you."

"Loki does." Thor said quietly. "I have been doing thinking. As beautiful and fair as you are, I do not wish to marry you. I know how much my brother cares for you."

"And what of it are we to do?" Dahlia asked then. She was growing frustrated. "I cannot make my feelings for Loki disappear to wed you."

"And I understand that, you do not have to rid your feelings."

"And when it comes time to produce an heir to the throne? Surely the All-Father will force our hand on that matter. I will not." Dahlia crossed her arms.

Thor sighed; he had not thought of that. "I do not know, Princess."

"I wish that I never came here." She said very quietly.

Thor's heart broke at the sight of her pain, and the fact that he could do nothing to help. He was stuck in this situation as well; but understood that Dahlia had the worse end of it. He was not sure what to do about it.

The God of Thunder stood then. "Would you like to accompany me to my training? I spend a few hours of the day working with our warriors."

Dahlia looked at him; realizing that she would spend a few thousand years with him. Thor was to be her husband, they would share a life together. They would raise a family together.

The Princess stood up. "I will not be a doting wife to you. You will not tell me what to do as Odin tells Frigga. And I am not of a toy for you to play with. You are very young, Thor, and I mean no offense to you. And I care for you as my dear friend, and understand that you are stuck here as well. You will treat me with respect and you will never do to our children, as your father has done to me."

Thor took a step back from the Princess. He had never heard her speak so much at once and he had never once seen the anger that she held in her eyes. "Of, of course."

"Do I have your word?"

"Yes, you have my word. I promise."

Dahlia nodded. "Then I will accompany you to your training. But first I would like to see Loki."

Thor paused. "He is not here."

"What?"

"He left the day before last. We got into a fight. He told me that he was trying to think of a plan, to keep us from marrying."

Dahlia nodded. She was upset he was gone but thankful that he was trying to plan something. She trusted him; he would get her out of this mess. She knew it.

"Fine. Let's go"