quadrāgintā

Dahlia was very nervous when she walked into the room

Dahlia was very nervous when she walked into the room. Her heart was beating faster than ever before, her mouth was dry, and her stomach a mess. She wanted to run out of the room that very second. She wanted to hide behind Natasha and Clint. Then she remembered that Clint wasn't here, and the fault was of Loki's.

When their eyes met for the first time in months, different feelings over took them both.

Dahlia felt herself fall into him. Her mind raced with past memories of the time they shared together. She longed to be in his arms again and to feel his lips against hers. But it pained her to know what had happened to him and what she now knew he became.

As for Loki, he felt his walls break and his mind run loose at the sight of her. He hadn't forgotten how beautiful she was, though he had forgotten how strong his feelings seemed to be.

His eyes raked over her. He noticed every single change that had happened to her over the course of the past few months. He saw the way that skin tight uniform wrapped around every part of her body. He noticed the way her thighs had become thick with muscle in the most sinful of ways. He saw how her arms were now longer thin, how the filled out the uniform.

She looked strong and beautiful. He was at a loss for words. His mouth and throat were dry, his hands trembling by his side, and his stomach had twisted into a tight knot. His eyes burned.

"Hello, Princess." Loki finally managed to say.

Dahlia let out a breath of air she hadn't realized she was holding in. Her lips were trembling and she bit down in it to keep it from doing it too much. She felt nervous; like she was going to be sick.

"I thought about this moment for a long time." Dahlia said, slowly at first. "I imagined it in my head. You'd find me and bring me home. What happened?"

Loki barely recognized the way that she talked. "I... I searched for you, Princess." He was not sure what to say. He knew very well that there were people watching and listening. His mind was racing and it was as if he couldn't see what was real and what wasn't.

"Why are you here now? Why have you done such terrible things on Midgard?"

"Dahlia..."

"Do you believe I am frightened of you?" Dahlia stepped closer to the thick glass prison that separated them. "How could you kill all those people? Surely it cannot be because of the truth that you found."

Loki knew then that she had learned of his past. He closed his eyes for a brief moment. He had never wanted Dahlia to know of his true parentage.

"Why Clint?"

Loki looked at her then. "What?"

"Why Clint? What did you do to him?"

"You care for him?"

"Deeply. Yes. He found me, he saved me. He is one of my best friends, he calls me his daughter. Is he dead?"

"No." Loki shook his head and stepped closer to the glass. "He is not dead. No harm will come to him, I promise."

Dahlia shook her head. She wasn't sure how she could trust him. How could she after everything had he had done? She saw him now; she knew that it was him who killed those innocent Midgardian's.

"Loki." She took a step closer to the glass and looked at him with watchful eyes. She saw how broken he seems and how red his eyes were. Her feelings were running wild, she didn't know what to think.

Then she noticed his eyes. The beautiful green of them were gone, replaced by blue. Dahlia took a step back as her mouth opened. "What have you done? Your eyes..." She shook her head. Those weren't the eyes she fell in love with.

"Dahlia." Loki's head began to ache. He couldn't think straight.

But the new agent shook her head again. "No. You aren't my Loki. Who has done this to you?" Then she pressed the earpiece. "Nat. Come back."

"Dahlia, please. Stay." Loki started growing desperate as she took several steps back.

But the Princess felt scared. She was scared of him. She did not know this monster in front of her. She couldn't keep her emotions in check. Fury was right; it was too hard for her.

Within a moment Natasha was wrapping her arms around Dahlia. "Come on, little alien."

"Dahlia!" Loki started to yell. His first collided with the glass and the entire prison shook under his feet.

Though Dahlia paid no mind to it. She was led out of the room by her friend. Once the door was shut and she was able to breathe again, she looked at her best friend. Her sister.

"That was not him. Those weren't his eyes."

"Dahlia..." Natasha was wary.

"I am serious. I know his eyes. Those weren't him. Something happened. I need to see Thor."

*

Thor stood with his arms crossed as he listened intently to what Dahlia was telling him. She told him of their conversation, of how confused he had seemed. It was as if he didn't have any recollection of his past few days on Midgard. He was completely different again.

She told him of his eyes; how they were blue instead of green. She told him that he looked sick; that something very bad had happened to him.

And Thor believed her. He had to. Sure, Loki had some questionable things in the past, but he knew it was because his younger brother had grown desperately lost. But Dahlia had a point. It wasn't Loki. The youngest brother was very far from perfect, but he wasn't a killer. He never had been.

The rest of the newly put together team were harder to convince. They had not known Loki as Thor and Dahlia did, and saw him only of a killer. Only of a monster.

Thor and Dahlia tried their best to help persuade them. Though when the ship fell under attack, it was much harder to do so.