uncertainty

"I got to go" Seungyoun mumbled and quickly jumped to his feet. His eyes stayed glued to the ground, he couldn't bare to look Seungwoo in the eyes. Seungwoo stood up, concern filled his face as he approached Seungyoun, internally beating himself up for crossing the line with him.

"Seungyoun I'm sorry I just-"

"It's not your fault" Seungyoun quickly responded and ran his fingers through his hair trying to figure out his next move. "I just need a little space."

Seungwoo watched as Seungyoun stumbled away from him into the darkness, towards the cafe on the top of the promenade. He couldn't help but hate himself. Why did he have to bring his feelings into this perfectly set friendship?

Seungyoun found himself a cab and made his route back to the observatory. He touched his lips, the taste of Seungwoo still lingering made him feel guilty. Not only to Hangyul, but to Seungwoo too. The only person he thought to blame, was himself.

He jumped out of the cab and ran up to the observatory, pulling off the sheet and began typing in a code to Hangyul, not realizing that there was already an unread message from his friend.

"He is using the computer right now ?!" Seungyoun quizzed and frantically pulled out the code book and translated it into his book.

I usually don't reply this fast but I was just thinking about you lol -H

Seungyoun wiped the tears that unknowingly started to fall from his eyes and desperately tried to communicate with Hangyul as fast as he could before the connection went out.

Hangyul I need to tell you something ? - S

Oh ? You're still awake! I can't believe this - H

Hangyul I realized something I just need to tell you - S

Hurry up - H

Seungyoun bit down on his lip and rewrote his message over a dozen times before hitting send, his heart rate picking up once he saw his own words spread across the screen.

Hangyul I'm in love with you. Today I realized it. I'm clingy because I Love you. I miss you, I want to spend all my time with you. Nobody else but you. - S

Seungyoun watched the screen, almost 20 minutes had passed, Hangyul was still online but there was no indication of him replying to Seungyoun at all.

Hangyul please say something - S

Hangyul even if you don't feel the same way just say something please - S

Seungyoun's hands began to shake as he desperately tried to get an answer from Hangyul. The three typing dots finally appeared and Seungyouns bloodshot eyes scanned the screen, hoping for a sign of reassurance.

Seungyoun....I cant. &$2@$21 1&@$ 1$ &11 / $&@2@3 1 /@"3 /!/ 2 - H

"What ?" Seungyoun watched the red light turn off, Hangyuls connection was turned off and the screen faded to blank.

"no no no no" Seungyoun desperately hit the side of the monitor, trying to regain a connection but there was no response.

Seungyoun slumped onto the floor and sobbed uncontrollably. He pulled his knees to his chest and wished he never said anything.

'Seungyoun I cant'

The words whirled around his mind, repeating like a mantra. Everything he ever wanted now disappeared into thin air, his hopes his dreams his future - everything crumbled beneath him.

——————

Seungyoun found himself back in his room. He had no idea how he had the energy to find his way back but he still felt lifeless. His phone buzzed numerous times, he knew it was probably Seungwoo or Yohan but he would rather not make yet another person upset with his actions.

"Seungyoun!" His mother yelled from downstairs, "Hangyuls parents are here, they want to take you to the space station it's important."

He felt a lump in his throat and found the energy to rush downstairs, finding Hangyuls parents in the kitchen, both their faces were unreadable.

"What's going on ?" Seungyoun croaked, trying to hide the fact that he had been crying for the past three hours.

"We're not sure but the space station said we should head there for an announcement" Hangyul's dad explained steadily and Seungyoun nodded, grabbing his coat from the rack.

The three finally reached the space station in silence. None of them knew what to expect. Seungyoun just hoped it was about them arriving safely within the next month and their expedition was a success.

All the families gathered in the meeting room and the head of the space station stepped in front of the crowd, his solemn expression made Seungyoun feel uneasy.

"Sorry to call everyone so unexpectedly, but unfortunately we don't have good news to share today" he began, and adjusted his reading glasses as he looked at his notes.

Seungyoun flinched as Hangyuls mother grabbed onto his hand tightly and he returned a squeeze, trying to show support even thought he was a mere second away from crumbling.

"The astronauts have successfully completed their expedition, but while re-routing the space craft may have entered a black hole or headed for another planet were not exactly sure. But we do have news that they're still alive, their engines are still in fact running and the captain did send out a signal about the issue"

The captains words were droned out by gasps and whimpers from family members upon hearing the news. None of them knew the stakes but being lost in space did not sound like it will get resolved in a short amount of time.

"Uhm s-sir" one of the older men at the back raised his hand. "What is the expected time for them to reroute and find earth ?"

Everyone in the room tensed up, eager to hear the Captains calculations, looking for any kind of hope at this point.

"NASA estimated it would take them about 6 months to reroute" the captain replied cautiously.

"That would be 3-4 years earth time."

A loud cry filled the room, followed by more yells and screams from their families and loved ones. Hangyuls mother completely broke down as her husband pulled her into his arms and tried to console her.

Seungyoun's throat went dry. His eyes were numb and his body was cold. The last message he got from Hangyul was when their space craft possibly went out of orbit. His last message was him telling Seungyoun that he didn't feel the same way and there was no way he could work around this new estimated time knowing the reality that even if Hangyul got back, things may never be the same.

Seungyoun patted Hangyuls parents on the back and walked out of the room. He needed to be far away from all the crying and heartbreak. He now needed to be consoled. He was tired of being the one everybody was leaning on for support. Tired of being the better person. It was now his turn to be weak.

He opened up his phone and dialed the only person who could take his pain away, even if it was for a second.

" hello Seungwoo ?" He stammered, "can we meet at your place ?"