THIRTY NINE

it was the monday after tyler had taken josh home from that party and tyler had just walked into to his first hour, that he had with josh. the two of them have spoken quite a bit over this weekend. it wasn't as much as tyler had hoped for, but he was grateful that josh was even talking to him.

they mostly chatted about how josh was feeling. tyler never brought up what josh had said that night because he most likely didn't remember and tyler didn't want to make josh feel uncomfortable in any way. hearing josh ramble about how much he loved him made tyler's heart soar with happiness.

he was going to do whatever it takes to regain josh's trust.

"has anyone seen mr. dun?" their science teacher spoke while tyler regained his attention.

"he won't be here. he's sick." darren responded.

tyler frowned while the words left darren's mouth. his love was sick and he wanted nothing more than to take care of him. he'll have to text him later and check on him.

once class was over, tyler jogged slightly to catch up with darren. when he did, he tapped his shoulder.

"oh hey tyler! thank you for taking josh home this weekend, he wasn't doing so good." darren greeted.

tyler smiled and nodded his head. "of course. I'd do anything for him. you said he's sick?"

"yeah, alcohol never mixes well with him and his dumbass knew that. he should be fine tomorrow hopefully." he informed tyler.

"I hope so," tyler responded. darren went to turn around but tyler stopped him before he had the chance.

"I have a question and I need an honest answer." tyler asked carefully.

confusion appeared on darren's face as he nodded his head. "okay..." he trailed.

tyler took a deep breath before finally asking him what had been nagging at his brain for days. "do you think i'll ever have another chance with josh?"

darren sighed. "the chemistry is still there. you're all josh talks about even though he'll never admit that. I forgive you for what you done to my best friend but I don't know if he has or ever will. josh knows you're sorry, we all do. but in order for him to truly believe you, you have to regain his trust and make him believe you in a way that's more powerful than 'i'm sorry.' "

tyler let those words sink in and pulled darren in for a hug. "no sappy shit but thank you." he said into his chest.

darren laughed and hugged him back. "you're welcome ty. now go get our boy. we're all rooting for you."

tyler walked into an empty house when he got home from practice. he sighed as he sat his bag down on the chair. his family most likely went to a dinner and a movie without him.

"thanks for the invite." he groaned to himself while rummaging through the pantry. after a while, he settled on a bowl of cereal.

tyler sat down on the couch after making his cereal and changing his clothes. he turned on the tv to icarly and began watching it. when he was halfway through his cereal, his phone buzzed in his lap. tyler finished chewing and sat his bowl on the coffee table before picking it up. when he saw who messaged him, he let out a tiny smile.

jenna: hey.
tyler: hi jenna
jenna: are you busy rn?
tyler: ...no? is everything okay?
jenna: yeah everything is okay,, can I come over? I need to see you.
tyler: door is open. see you soon.

tyler had no idea why jenna had texted him out of the blue but he was excited to see her. he missed their friendship so much and hoped everything was smoothing out for them.

he was washing his bowl when he heard the door open. "ty?" jenna called out to him.

"in the kitchen, give me a sec." he replied as he turned the water off. he quickly dried his hands with the towel and joined jenna on the couch where she was sitting.

tyler looked at her awkwardly before speaking up. "so what brings you here?" he asked lamely.

jenna snickered at his awkwardness. "I just wanted to talk."

"okay..about what?" he asked her while fumbling with his fingers anxiously.

he watched as jenna took a deep breath before she spoke again. "I just wanted closure. I didn't give you a chance to explain yourself. cheating has no excuse but there has to be a reason why you did it. i'm not gonna lie, i'm still hurt and probably will be for a while but I miss you. I miss us being best friends. I want that back again." she admitted sadly.

tyler sniffled and pulled jenna in for a hug. "I miss you so much jen. I hope you know how truly sorry I am for hurting you the way you did."

jenna patted his back and kissed his forehead. "I know you are bub."

tyler wiped his eyes and pulled away from her. "why are you giving me another chance? I don't deserve that. I used you."

"and why did you use me?" she asked him timidity.

he wiped his nose with the back of his hand. "I didn't want to hurt you. you were so excited whenever you asked me out and I wanted that happiness to stay. I never ever cheated on you until I started hanging with josh. I didn't mean for it to happen but it did and i'm really sorry I played the both of you."

jenna grabbed tyler's hand. "you're a good person ty, we all know that. you knew what you did was wrong and if you're willing to fix it then you deserve all the second chances in the world. I will always be here for you even if you did what you did." the blonde told him softly.

tyler's lip wobbled. "thank you so much. I really did love you jenna."

she looked at him sadly. "I know you did, just not in the way that I loved you. it's okay. I'm dealing with it. now enough about me, do you still have feelings for josh?" she asked him.

tyler nodded his head. "s-so many feelings." he stuttered out sadly.

"and do you know how you can fix that and get him back?" she cocked her head curiously.

"no, I have no clue. I miss him so much but I don't know what to do jenna." he replied while his voice cracked again out of sadness.

jenna smiled. "I think I have an idea."