Chapter Thirteen

The 'disappointed but not surprised' meme must have crossed Gabriel's mind. Assuming he even liked memes. One quick glance at him and Theodore decided that he probably didn't. Regardless, Gabriel being disappointed was a little too much wishful thinking on Theodore's part anyway.

Speaking of, Theodore wished for even more.

Apart from wishing for the usual -such as clear skin and a purpose in life- he wished for Gabriel to ask him again and then for the courage to say yes.

Theodore liked to think of himself as a realist, his reality just happened to be one where his glass was half empty, life was unfair and Gabriel would leave him just as fast as Silas supposedly would.

He was a self-fulfilling prophecy, but at least he was aware of it. Acknowledging the problem was the first step, was it not?

But what good were revelations when he wasn't going to act upon them?

Gabriel still hadn't said anything and in the silence Theodore's thoughts rang louder. He turned on the radio and felt the urge to turn it off again immediately.

Sucker by the freaking Jonas brothers.

Just when he was about to make a stupid joke, Gabriel spoke first as the chorus played. "I am the furthest from subtle at this point, so you must either be the most oblivious guy there is or simply not care."

Theodore's heart soared with what those words could mean before he quickly checked himself. "Uhm. Is this a question or a statement? Either way, my answer is a. oblivious because I've got no ficking clue what you're on about."

Theodore's heart raced as he awaited Gabriel's reply.

A disappointing "Nevermind, then."

Theodore's heart sank.

He forced a nonchalant smile to play on his lips. Theodore could be brave when he had sarcasm to hide behind, not that his words weren't truthful, then, "You can't just do that to me, Gabriel. Now I'm curious."

"Are you mocking me?" he accused.

Teasing, maybe. But mocking? "How?"

Gabriel just shook his head, "If you genuinely do not know I'd rather it stays that way. Shouldn't have said anything, sorry."
---------------------------------------------------------
School made me its bitch and this was the best I could manage, sorry peeps.
Thank you all the more for the continuous support❤

Feedback is much appreciated!
Also, would any of you be interested in reading Gabriel's POV?