Chapter Eighteen

Gabriel stood at the bottom of the stairs when Theodore came down.
He must have been listening and now he felt self-conscious.

Gabriel smiled and looked nothing short of impressed, but that only made Theodore feel a little more awkward. His steps faltered.

"That sounded wonderful, Theodore."

Said boy almost blushed, instead skipped the last two steps and walked past Gabriel. "I don't know how to take a compliment, but thanks, I guess." he called as he was already halfway through his bedroom.

He heard Gabriel chuckle, and before he knew it, he was leaning against the doorframe. Maybe leaving the door open had been a subtle invitation to talk.

"So this is where all the magic happens." Gabriel joked. 

"Only handtricks I'm afraid."

Gabriel laughed, Theodore internally groaned, cringing at himself for having indirectly admitted to jerking off on the very bed he was sitting on at that moment.

Gabriel sat down next to him. 

Brave.

There wasn't much to see, hardly anything of sentimental value, at least, but Gabriel took his time looking around, "Why did you leave the door open?"

"So you could take a good look around and ask silly questions. Asking the question is answering it, Gabriel."

Gabriel smiled cutely, "Is this your way of saying you enjoy talking with me?"

"I guess it is." he admitted. His cheeks felt hot.

Gabriel's smile widened, he looked almost giddy, "I enjoy talking with you, too."

Theodore looked skeptical, was skeptical despite the fact that Gabriel had initiated practicality every single conversation they'd ever had. Theodore hadn't really been nice during any of them,"Why?"

The other boy shrugged, "Why do we enjoy the things we enjoy?"

Theodore wasn't satisfied, nor reassured, "I was hoping for a more concrete answer. Maybe even a compliment."

A soft chuckle left Gabriel's lips, "I like this. Your wittiness. The banter." He'd been looking at nothing in particular, but then he turned to Theodore, "I'd like to get to know you better, though. Talk about things without turning them into jokes."

"I don't think I know how to do that," he confessed, which was an honest start.

Gabriel's shoulders slumped ever so slightly, and he looked at nothing in particular again.

Theodore spoke, "I can try though."

___________________________________

The whole Covid-19 situation feels surreal to me, like something I could read on this app. I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and safe.

Stay safe and thank you so much for reading, hope you enjoyed ❤