The Fourth Phase And Sleeping With The Enemy

We land down next to everyone else as they exited trick tower. I stayed on Toto's back.

'If possible I would love Toto to meet my friends.'

He won't be touched but he also needs to understand that they are under my protection and if he harms them I will be upset.

"Congratulations on escaping trick tower everyone. All that remains now is the Fourth Phase and the Final Phase," Lippo stops to throw his thumb back, pointing at an island in the distance, "the fourth phase with take place right over there on Zevil Island. Now, let's proceed."

He snaps his fingers and a guy brings a box over.

"To begin with, I will need each of you to draw lots now."

The applicants mumble and question what the lots are for.

"Who you hunt. And who hunts you."

'No thank you. I just got finished regaining my energy, I do not need to go on another rampage.'

"In this box, are exactly twenty five numbered cards. Which means that one of the numbered cards will correspond with your badge. Now, each of you will draw a card in the order you excited the tower. Alright? Which of you was first?"

Hisoka steps up and grabs his card. Then Gittarackur.

Then I hop down from Toto and walk to grab my card.

A series of gasps are heard.

I look at Lippo. He gulps.

"Thank you," I say quietly and slightly bow.

I leave and go hop back onto Toto's back. Removing my badge and putting it in my bag next to Hisoka's card and Gittarackur's pin.

People continue drawing their cards until Lippo speaks once again.

"Has everyone drawn? Very well. Go ahead and remove the sticker."

'#80 huh'

Lippo proceeds to explain about the point system and all that yada yada, I zone out halfway as I try to see if my target left their badge on.

Then we are lead off onto a boat to head to the island. Toto and I board the boat and go to sit in a corner far away from everyone else. Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio seem hesitant to come near me but I wave them over.

I meet them halfway and explain the whole "malicious intent" blah stuff again. They all say they don't and we walk closer to Toto. He keeps a close eye on them and we stop at about a meter away. I walk closer and pet Toto and direct Gon to come first. I instruct him to hold his hand out palm up and I gently pull him closer, holding his wrist. I slowly move his hand under Toto's nose and he sniffs it.

He looks at me and I whisper "Protecting."

I do the same process for the others, each time telling Toto that they are people that I'm protecting.

I would have done this if I could have all those years ago when Munchi and Big Bear were staying with my mentor and I. But unfortunately Toto was still fairly unused to humans. I snap out of the memory as I plop down in front of Toto.

All my friends settle down, me laying against Toto and the others a few feet away from me.

"So! I'm curious! Who are your targets?" I ask, smiling gently.

Gon is the first to show me.

I gulp.

"Oh I'm so sorry Gon."

"Ah! No it's okay!"

I slightly frown. Hisoka was not my favorite person, he was definitely interesting, but he and Gon just keep on running into each other.