Cold Metal And Needles

A few weeks pass by and so much has happened.

Gon ended up losing in his match and had a broken arm. And he was banned from training by his teacher, which I was happy to hear. We celebrated Gon's birthday and I finished up all my matches. Gon will be resuming his training today, but unfortunately I can't be there for it.

I have to go on a long annual mission. In order for Pawā to remain my guardian I have to do therapeutic exercises.

'Ya know, because if I have a breakdown I could kill thousands. Though, I don't know how isolating me on the island of my nightmares will help.'

I'm dropped off on the island for a month or so every year to "face my demons," as the therapists like to put it.

'I'm going to need a long nap after this, knowing I probably won't get a good night of sleep while I'm here.'

I walk into the island, waving bye to the boat that held Pawā and a few of the hunter associations people.

'Time to deal with my trauma. Yippee.'

Normally I have Toto with me since he's been my safety blanket every year. Unfortunately, this year I am alone. I want to leave, ignore the place that broke me but I know the bracelet I have on will be tracking me to make sure I go to that place.

That horrible place.

I walk into the island, heading to the center of the dense and creepy jungle, unlike my home in the fact that everything looks darker and smells like nightmares and screams.

'Maybe that's my subconscious though.'

After two hours I arrive to the center where I see a building that makes my breathing hitch and memories flow into my head.

Screaming. My throat hurts but I can't stop screaming and sobbing. I'm shaking but the mean men carry me, their hands tight around my wrists. So tight that later that night I have dark bruises in the shape of big handprints.

I'm maybe three when this happens. I was being transported from another building where I had known sunshine and happiness. Where children's giggles ring through the halls and adults grim faces are common sights. Where sometimes, one of my friends goes into missing and all the adults act like they didn't know what I was talking about.

But they knew.

Snot is smeared around my face and I'm about to pass out from the pure amount of energy I had used since being ripped from the family I had known. My vocal cords are close to giving out and I finally pass out, the mental exhaustion knocking me out. Maybe the needle that was stuck into my neck also helped.

When I wake I'm strapped to a weird bed and there are bright lights. I don't see any familiar faces and it scares me. I start to shake and tears well up in my eyes. I hear gruff voices but I don't understand all the words they are saying. I see bright lights and shiny metal.

I feel a long needle stick into my arm and I scream from the pain. And that was before they started injecting the serum.

I feel the burning sensation spread to every part of my body and I convulse and shake and scream bloody murder. I feel every part of my body scream from the pain and heat. And yet it's also freezing. So freezing that it burns. My body switches from heat and freezing burning and I finally give into the black spots that appear in my vision.

I awake again to a dull pain. A pain that becomes an everlasting feeling in the years I spent in this place.

I shake out of the memory and feel my damp cheeks and shaking body. I step forward and fall back into the memory yet again.