Chapter 7 - Asher

PRESENT

I pause my at-home workout when my phone sounds off with a notification. I sit up from my plank and retrieve it from my bedside table, raising a brow at the friend request I just got. Samantha Simmons, huh?

She was my first kiss back in middle school and every guy's wet dream at the time. I lost my virginity to her in the ninth grade which, looking back, was probably way too soon. Come to think of it, she was almost all of my firsts.

I briefly stalk her since her account is public and note that she's just as hot now. Most of her pictures are nights out from clubbing or travelling. Her parents are stupid rich so she's always lived a luxurious life. My thumb pauses over the "accept" button as I suddenly recall the first time Aria found out Samantha and I hung out. I laugh under my breath even now remembering the absolute fire in her eyes that I hadn't told her and she had to find out when Samantha hit on me in class. Even then I could tell Aria had felt a smidge of jealousy and I waited for her to react, even hoped for it, but she kept her game face. She always liked competing with me and keeping me on my toes. She's the only girl who gives back the same amount of shit that I dish out.

I decline the request and throw my phone on my bed. That little dispute was ages ago but something tells me that the mention of it would get Aria riled up all over again. That girl hides her crazy in plain sight.

Man, there isn't a single memory of mine that doesn't somehow include her. She's literally part of me and it kills me that things are so different now. My mind wanders to last week's dinner and the weird tension between us. If I'm being honest, Aria and I always had that between us but we never acknowledged it. It's almost like we had a silent agreement to just ignore it and go about our friendship. Looking back I realize how stupid it was of us to do that and that maybe if we hadn't our lives would have turned out so much more differently but I can't say I regret it entirely. What if our friendship ended back then instead of now? I wouldn't have been able to get through those years of my life without Ria. At least I had her as my best friend. Now? I don't even know what the fuck to call us.

My frustration and annoyance returns and I exert it out of me with a series of push-ups and sit-ups. All I've done since moving back with my parents is worry about my birth parents and what to do with Ria. Does she even want anything to do with me? I scoff at myself. I'm so fucking soft for her. She's the only girl I've ever lost my mind over like this. I haven't even fucked anyone else since moving back here. With Ria so close to me and partially back in my life it feels wrong. It's even worse that I have no one to talk to this about. I can't mention it to Nate or he'd skin me alive. The only other person I trust is Ria herself so I'm on my own as fucking usual.

I curse out loud when my phone rings. I should start shutting it off when I work out. Working out and boxing are my only escapes and I hate being interrupted.

"What?" I answer without checking who's calling me. I don't give two shits about being rude. I know I'm an asshole but I don't have time to care about it. I already have too much on my plate.

"You answered. Look at that."

My body locks up when I recognize the patronizing voice, especially the laugh that follows. Fuck. This is what I get for getting ahead of myself.

"You're a dumbass for calling, you know that? It's like you want to get caught."

"Do you think I'm that stupid, boy? I got a burner phone and it's guaranteed to be untraceable."

"I don't care. What the fuck do you want, Mike?" I keep my voice firm but low. I don't want my parents to overhear me. I turn on the fan in my room for some white noise to cover my conversation.