Chapter 32 - Asher

PRESENT

Hold on. Just hold on for a few more seconds, Ash. You need to fucking hold on.

It's all I tell myself while I count down the seconds until I can breathe again. My lungs are on fire, my body aches with pain, and I feel seconds away from passing out.

Just when I feel like I might, the hand gripping the back of my neck tightens and pulls my head out of the water. I suck in a huge breath, coughing and sputtering while water trickles up my nose and down my throat. It feels like I'm on fire from the inside out, like I'm burning alive. My knees dig into the bathroom floor to balance myself while I lean my body against the bathtub. I struggle against the rope that has my wrists tied behind my back but it's no use. I'm not getting out of this anytime soon. I've been getting my head ducked in this fucking water for close to half an hour now and I'm no closer to escaping now than I was then.

When my coughing subsides, Christian takes a seat on the edge of the tub, facing me. Fucker looks like the happiest person in the goddamn world right now. I'm not about to give him any more satisfaction so I keep my face bored and unamused.

"Where'd they teach you this overused maneuver? How to be a bad guy 101? You're goddamn lame, you know that?"

"You're way too cocky for somebody who I plan to kill in the next hour." He sneers. "I just want to have a little more fun and then we're done here."

"Wrong." I cluck my tongue and act disappointed. Christian's nostrils flare with impatience and I know I'm pushing my luck here but I'm not going down without a fight. "Are you forgetting the deal between you and Mister Handsy? You need me alive so really, I haven't lost just yet, have I?"

He growls right before grabbing my neck and ducking my head back in the water. I barely have time to hold my breath before I'm submersed, water seeping into my eyes and nose and ears. For a second I regret running my mouth but then I remind myself nothing is worth compromising my own pride. I don't know what'll happen to me but I will know that I kept my dignity through it all. So I hold my breath while my lungs burn and water crawls up my nose painfully and I feel like my insides are being ripped apart. He keeps my head ducked for so long that I think I might actually pass out from holding my breath but then I'm pulled out, water tricking inside of me and feeling like a thousand needles digging inside. I cough violently, hacking out the excess water that should not be inside of me and try to pull in some much needed oxygen.

"Are you ready to cooperate?" Robbie crouches down beside me. He thrusts my phone in my face. "Call. Her. Now."

"Go fuck yourself, bitch boy." I sound neutral as ever.

"Call her!" He screams in outrage, patience snapping. "Call Aria! Bring me Aria!"

"Let me think about it." I widen my eyes, pretending to mull it over. My lip juts out in thought before I shake my head. "So I thought about it. What was my answer again? Oh yeah. No."

"Fuck you!" He swings at me, decking me in the face with a decent right cross. It shouldn't hurt me as much as it does but I have no doubt I have so many bruises on my face by now that I probably look like a colouring book. "Call her for help and tell her to come here or I'll fucking kill you!"

"So kill me." I seethe. "I'd rather die than let you get your hands on her again. And if you think I don't mean that, I fucking dare you to kill me right now."

"No." He laughs quietly, shaking his head. "No, no, no. You won't get away that easy. We'll torture the answers out of you for as long as it takes."

"Then I guess it'll be the three of us forever." I smirk. "Better get used to this, boys. I call dibs on the bed. I have back problems."

"You arrogant prick." Christian grabs my throat and squeezes. I smile even though I can feel my blood circulation cutting off and getting trapped in my face, making my eyes and lips pulse painfully.