Chapter 34 - Asher

PRESENT

As soon as I open my eyes, I can tell I'm not home. There's just something about your body being able to sense when you're out of place. Even before I curiously glance around at the unfamiliar walls I can tell that something is wrong.

That's when I suddenly remember. Getting shot by Christian. Robbie dying in front of me. That's pretty much all that comes to mind and I can't remember what happened next or how I got here. In a panic, I try to sit up but groan at the sheer burst of pain in my abdomen. I look down and finally realize that I have way too many wires sticking inside of me and, even though it's covered by a hospital gown, I can feel the thick bandage wrapped around my midsection, reminding me.

I was shot in the gut. I can almost feel the pain, even now. But what happened?

My lips feel like sandpaper and I lick them but it doesn't do much good. My mouth is like a Sahara. I look around for water and spy a paper cup on a tray nearby but can't reach it. Then I notice a call button on the side of the hospital bed and press it. Not even ten seconds later, a doctor comes barrelling in looking all out of sorts. His hair is sticking up everywhere and he's pretty much bewildered as he gapes at me.

"You're awake." He laughs and looks so relieved I have to wonder what kind of condition I'm in. "I didn't think you'd regain consciousness anytime soon."

"Unless both you and I are sharing the same hallucination, I'll have to guess that yes, I'm awake." My voice sounds like nails scratching on a chalkboard but the doctor laughs anyways, handing me the paper cup I saw earlier.

"And your sense of humour is intact. That's always a good sign." He shakes his head. "You must be one hell of a fighter, son. I wasn't sure your organs were going to pull you through."

"What happened to me?" I ask once I've drank all the water. I immediately feel loads better.

"We can go over that later. Let me call in a nurse to check your vitals."

The thought of more strange people coming near me immediately puts me on alert. I think I've had enough of that for a lifetime. "I need to see my family."

"They're waiting outside. When the nurse is done I'll have them all come in."

"Is Aria there?" I ask because fuck, I need her. She's the only one I need right now. I wonder if she knows Robbie is dead. Is she okay?

"Who?" The doctor tilts his head. "If you're talking about the beautiful redhead that hasn't left your side once in the past forty-eight hours then yes, she's there. You're very lucky to have her."

Relief slams into me. Aria.

I distinctly remember feeling her hold me when I thought I was dying and wonder if I just imagined that? Was she really there? Where is Christian now? And what happened with my birth parents who I was supposed to meet yesterday? So many fucking questions and I'm growing more and more restless.

"Relax." The doctor urges. "The check-up will be quick and painless and then I'll answer all your medical questions."

I nod reluctantly while he scribbles a few things down on his clipboard. He checks all the screens around me, working fast and silently.

"Never got your name, Doc." I point out.

"Dr. Lancaster." He shakes my hand. "I performed your surgery so I'm just doing the follow up right now."

I nod again. The hospital door opens and a nurse steps inside the room with some equipment. She's a short and plump woman and she grins wide at me. "Goodness. You're even more handsome when you're awake."