Chapter 22 - Aria

PRESENT

I screw my eyes shut tightly, my forehead resting on my hand. My patience is running out and I remind myself that this is hard for everyone involved.

"Trisha." I try again. I hear her breathing on the other line. "You need to understand that I can't open a case if I don't have the necessary details. I need something to work with. I understand that you're scared to disclose information, believe me I do, but I need more than what you're giving. You're not telling me anything about your abuser and you're barely telling me about the situation taking place. I'm not sure how to help you otherwise."

"I'm sorry." I hear her sniffle and I sigh deeply with remorse. I'm not trying to be the bad guy here but now I'm filled to the brim with guilt from making my client cry. "I just can't get over my paranoia. Every conversation with you scares me and keeps me up at night but at the same time I want your help. I'm so grateful that you're doing this for free but it's so hard to break these old habits. I don't even know what I want. I'm so sorry."

Damn it. My heart cracks open with sympathy and Fawn shakes her head at me from across the room, mouth tightened. I have the phone on speaker but it's fine because Trisha refuses to tell me anything so there's no breaking client confidentiality. I knew this phone call would be another mini therapy session and I wanted Fawn's input. She thinks this woman is taking advantage of me but I know what Trisha is going through. Fawn doesn't know I was previously abused, and I have no plans on telling her, so she can't understand why I'm being so lenient.

"I know this seems scary and impossible but if you work with me, I'm going to get you out of there. Just work with me, Trisha. I want to help you."

There's some more sniffling and she doesn't say anything for so long that I'm about to give up altogether. Then she quietly says, "Kennedy."

"What's that?" My back straightens. I immediately grab my pen and hold it to the blank notebook that's been untouched since the beginning of the phone call.

"His name. Kennedy."

I close my eyes in relief. Finally. A breakthrough.

"Kennedy." I scribble it down. "Last name?"

"I...I don't think I can do that, Ms. Hunter."

"That's okay. I can work with that. And I told you, call me Aria."

She doesn't address that last part. She insists on remaining formal. "I...I have to go now. He'll be home soon. I promise I'll try to give you more next time."

"Hey, you did good." I remind her gently. "What you're doing takes so much more bravery than anyone can fathom. I believe in you, okay? We're going to get through this."

"Thank you." A hiccup this time.

"You're welcome. We'll talk in another couple of days, Trisha."

"Okay. Goodbye, Ms. Hunter."

"Bye." I end the phone call and sag back against my chair, blowing out a breath.

"Is it like that with all of your clients?" Fawn still has that wary look on her face. "This one seems like she's dragging it out. She gives you one piece of information every time you talk, if that. Isn't that weird?"

"A little." I admit. "But most of the time it takes a lot of hard work to get my clients to trust in me. It's all about baby steps but when I have their trust, things tend to take off from there. I don't have Trisha's trust yet."

"You don't have anything of hers." She points out. Then she shakes her head. "I don't know. I guess it's a good thing I do family law. People are usually itching to get things going as soon as possible and that works perfectly with my no-patience complex."