Chapter 26 - Aria

PRESENT

I slam the car door shut and walk around to the driver's side, motioning for Asher to roll his window down.

"You sure you don't want me to come with?" I bite my lip in urgency.

"Nah, you better get home before your parents get worried. I'll stop by your room later and fill you in on everything."

"Okay." I nod and look behind him where Greg's car is. Greg is watching the road around us like he's been doing the whole ride from the safe house back here. He isn't a man of too many words but it's obvious he's on edge right now. It's only making my nerves worse and I wish I could just stuff Asher into a room and not let him out. What if something happens to him? Who the hell was chasing us and what if they try again? I turn back to him, cupping his face. "Be safe, you understand me? If something happens to you I'll kick your ass."

"Pretty sure you're contradicting yourself." He raises a brow in amusement, tapping a finger under my chin when I frown. "Lighten up, baby. I'll be fine."

"Text me as soon as you get to Greg's house, okay? And make sure he drops you home. Don't come by yourself."

"I won't."

I hold my pinky up, needing his word. God, I can't wait until he's done with these assholes for good. What kind of life is this, always on the run and looking over your shoulder? Asher deserves better. He always has.

He wraps his pinky around mine and I feel slightly calmer. "Be safe." I repeat.

"Be on your knees when I come to your room tonight." He winks and I smack his shoulder. He holds his hands up in surrender, laughing. "I want to say I'm joking but I'm not."

"Idiot." I mutter and lean my head inside the car. I kiss him quick and hard, knowing if I let myself linger we'll put on a show for our neighbours, and pull away, heading back for my house. I wave my hand at Greg who lifts one finger up in acknowledgement before starting up his car. The two drive off and my heart sinks into my stomach, trying not to let paranoia get the best of me. He'll be fine. He's Asher fucking Pryce. He has to be fine.

"Calm down." I mutter to myself as I walk inside my house. I'm too busy drowning in my own panic to notice my sister leaning against the frame of the kitchen, watching me with a raised brow as she sips from a mug. She gets that move from our dad, the little creeps.

"Oh." I startle when I notice her and bring a hand to my chest. "Hey, Lex. What's up?"

"Did I just see you kissing Asher back there?" She accuses, ignoring me entirely.

My mouth opens to answer her but I snap it closed again. Shit. I was hoping to wait a little longer before telling my family about us. I know wholeheartedly they'd approve and have even been waiting for this but then I wouldn't be able to tell them our relationship needs to stay private for the sake of our safety. In Asher's life, the people most important to him get hurt as a means to get to him. His dad is a prime example of that. If any of the street gangs learned about mine and Asher's relationship, I'd be putting myself as well as my family in jeopardy. Now I understand why Asher was so reluctant about us being together.

"And why are you in the same clothes as yesterday?" Her eyes drag down my frame, lip twitching. "I'm guessing you didn't spend the night at Lenny's."

This time nervous laughter comes out of my mouth but still no words. The less people that know about us, the better. As much as I would love to gush with my little sister about finally being with the man I've loved all my life, our relationship comes at a cost. At least for now. As soon as Asher manages to put all of this behind him, I'll shout out our relationship to anyone who listens, damn it.