Chapter 30 - Asher

PRESENT

"Tell me again." I demand. It's a stupid thing to ask but I kind of blanked out with rage the first time around.

"How could I have been so stupid, Ash?" Aria cries into the phone and I feel my stomach twist painfully. Fuck. I shouldn't have left her firm. I could have been there when all of this exploded in her face. Why the hell am I always letting her down and failing to protect her? What kind of man am I? "I should have realized something was up. I-I didn't even know Robbie was released early."

"You and me both." I mumble grimly. Then I kick my bed frame as hard as I can and Aria grows quieter, probably having heard that. "Fuck! I should have kept up with his incarceration status. Should have known he'd fucking try something like this."

"Don't blame yourself. You always do that."

"And for good reason." I throw back, ignoring her request. I'm going to fucking lose sleep over this for a long time unless I do something about it. "What was he even going to try to do? The restraining order you have against him is for life. He couldn't have came near you anyways. And what did he need Trisha for?"

I hear her take a deep breath like she's recounting all the answers probably provided by Trisha herself. At least she stepped up before things got really bad. That's what I'm hoping for, anyways.

"He wanted to know about me. Where I work, where I live, who's in my life, if I'm married or have kids, things like that. He needed all the details because he was planning on kidnapping me and taking me somewhere where it would be just us. He's been planning this for the last two years, Asher. He was even on his best behaviour because he knew it would grant him parole. God, I'm going to be sick."

She's not the only one. I feel physically ill as I'm forced to consider the ultimate what if—that he'd have been able to go through with his fucked up plan and take Ria after all. Just the thought of it turns my blood cold. I can't decide if I'm more terrified or livid but one thing is for certain.

I'm going to fucking ruin him.

Hunt him down and take him out of the picture for good. It's what I should have done last time and I'm not about to fail Aria a second time.

"Is Trisha still there with you?" I ask so calmly that I'm impressed with myself.

"Yeah." Aria sounds hesitant. "Why?"

"Could you give her the phone for a minute?"

"Why?" She repeats.

"Aria, just trust me."

There's a pause and I know Aria is wondering what I'm up to. But I guess her trust for me wins out because I hear the phone shuffle before a new voice comes on the line.

"Yes?"

"Trisha." I greet her formally and force myself to behave. On one hand I want to fucking tear her a new one for putting Aria in jeopardy but I know she'd been told that Aria was a fraud and was hoping to uncover her. On the other hand she came to us before things took a turn for the worst and that's what I remind myself now so I don't treat her like a dick. "Thank you for telling us the truth. You saved my girlfriend's life and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that."

"You're welcome." There's a softness to her tone but also an underlying awkwardness, like she's not used to being nice. "I learned for myself what a creep Robbie is."

"And he's not going to stop. I'm going to need you to do something for me. I'll pay whatever price you name but I need your word."

"Yeah. Sure." She sounds confused. "What is it?"