Chapter 27 - Asher

PRESENT

I text Aria her hourly reminder that I'm okay and alive before setting my phone down again. It should annoy me the way she's keeping such close tabs on me but it's actually fucking awesome. I love that she cares so much, that she genuinely worries about me as much as she does. If anything, she makes me feel needy as fuck so this is a decent way of balancing things out and making me feel less of a pussy. It's pathetic how gone I am for her but...what the fuck ever. She's the love of my fucking life.

"Drink this." Greta sets down a steaming mug in front of me and I peer into it, relief bringing my shoulders down when I realize it's coffee.

"Bless your soul." I tell her solemnly. "I'm half-asleep here."

"You boxers and your busy lives." She swings her grin over to Coach. "Want me to grab you anything?"

"I'm okay, baby." He reaches up to grab the back of her neck and tugs her down, pressing his lips to her. I watch them in amusement as they make out like horny teenagers and clear my throat obnoxiously when it drags on for way too long. Coach pulls away to glare at me but when he turns back to her, he's all soft and moon-eyed. He's just as whipped as the rest of us. "Get some sleep. We might be a while."

"Okay." She gives me a little wave. "Good to see you, Asher. Stop by our house whenever you'd like."

"Thanks, Greta. Goodnight."

Coach smacks her ass when she starts to head back and she glares at him over her shoulder, cheeks reddening. It's weird to say but I can't exactly blame Coach because Greta has a phenomenal ass. Her figure and looks appear way younger than her actual age. I remember years ago when she was tired and overworked the first time Jaxon hired her and she looked so much older than she does now. Jaxon has made sure Greta is sitting on a comfortable pile of cash for all that she's done for him and now that she's better rested and genuinely happier, the years have been kind to her. Coach is a lucky motherfucker.

When she disappears from the living room and further into the house I turn to Coach, my voice low. "Does she know? What we're doing?"

"Somewhat." His eyes harden. "She knows the gist of my past and some minor details but that's it. I made sure she knew who she was getting into a relationship with but some things...some things are meant to be taken to your grave. When you live a life like this, you repent in silence and don't burden anyone with the fucked up shit you've done."

Jesus. His words nearly make me shiver and I'm glad as hell that I'm getting out of this mess before I get too deep into it.

"But she knows enough." He continues, his tone lighter now. "It takes strong as fuck women to put up with shit like this."

"You're telling me." My insides go a little soft when I think of Ria. I know wholeheartedly there isn't anyone who would stick by my side through this shit the way she has. I know it's not easy. I know it's terrifying as fuck. But she's here and she's...incredible. "By the way, and I mean this in the most respectful way possible, it sounds like you and Emily's mom went through hell to be together and that you loved the shit out of her. How...how did you move on?"

He blows out a breath, laughing humourlessly. "It wasn't easy if that's what you're implying."

"Not at all." I quickly backtrack. "I just...I can't imagine considering anyone else if I was that deeply in love at one point. Sorry. I sound like a dick."

"You do." He agrees, leaning back in his chair. "But I get what you're saying. There was a point where I couldn't imagine it either until I realized I was looking at it all wrong. It's not that I was replacing Laura or even moved on from her—hell, I'm going to be in love with her even after I die—it's just that my love for Greta is different. She's the first woman that's made me feel like this since Laura passed away almost ten years ago. And Laura...she wanted me to move on. Talked to me about it almost everyday during her final weeks. I'd raise her and tell her that wasn't ever going to happen and that she was it for me. That I'd love her in this life and the next."