𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐌𝐫𝐬 𝐌𝐚𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲

———✰———

The Pevensie children were being taken away from their house today, they stood in front of their mother in the train station surrounded by hundreds of other children who were also evacuees.

"You need to keep this on darling. All right?" Mrs Pevensie told her youngest daughter as she pinned the label onto her bag strap. "You warm enough?" she asked and Lucy nodded timidly with a pout on her lips "Good girl" her mother praised as Susan pinned her own label to herself.

"If dad were here, he wouldn't make us go," Edmund said grumpily as he looked at the Evacuee poster in front of him.

"If dad were here, it'd mean the war was over and we wouldn't have to go," Peter told his brother with a slight annoyance in his tone as if he was about to snap at his younger brother.

"You will listen to your brother, won't you Edmund?" Helen asked her son from where she was kneeling in front of him the boy just huffed in response which made Helen get up off the floor and go to embrace him but as she went to kiss him he leant away from her making her sigh sadly and put a gentle peck on the side of his head instead before she moved on to Peter.

"Promise me you'll look after the others." His mother whispered into his ear as they hugged.

"I will mum" Peter responded with a slight crack in his voice.

"Good man" She smiled at him as they stopped hugging.

"Susan. Be a big girl" Helen told her oldest daughter as she hugged her, and Susan nodded crying slightly.

"Alright. There now, off you go" She told them as the whistle went off telling them it was time to board the train.

"All aboard!" the man shouted as the Pevensies picked up their luggage and started walking away from their Mother.

"Hey, get off." Edmund shrugged Susan off who was trying to hold his hand like Lucy and Peter were "I know how to get on a train by myself. Get off me"

"May I have your tickets, please?" the woman at the barrier in front of the train asked Peter who was holding the tickets but was looking over at the soldiers "Tickets, please" she repeated kindly and Susan snatched the tickets out of her older brothers hands and gave them to the lady who ushered them on you goes

"Yes, thank you" Peter thanked the woman apologetically as the four Pevensies walked towards the door of the train.

"Come on, Lucy, we've got to stick together now. Everything's gonna be all right. It's gonna be fine. It's gonna be fine." Peter knelt and assured his crying little sister who was slowing down to try and catch a glimpse of her mother.

Once they got onto the train Susan poked her head out of one of the train doors windows to spot her mum who smiled as they caught each other's eyes "bye-bye, dear." Her mother spoke as the other Pevensies poked their heads out to wave to their mother.

"Bye, mum we'll miss you! See you soon." Peter called out to her and Susan joined with a "bye!" before Edmund said, "we'll miss you" and Peter reminded "Write to us, mum!" and Lucy let out one last "love you!"

The Pevensie children had found a cart with two children in the girl was slightly younger than Edmund and the was slightly younger than Lucy.

Peter started putting their luggage in the racks above them other than Edmund who sneered at him and put it up there himself.

The six children sat there quietly as they rode through the countryside, Edmund looked out the window in boredom and slightly upset as Lucy kneeled on the seat next to him and offered him her stuffed dog which he took slightly disgruntled before he gave it to the sad little boy in front of him making him smile slightly and Lucy pouted before she smiled and the smiles on the two children opposite her.

As they pulled up to the first station Peter looked up from the book he was reading as the two children opposite them started to get up and leave.

The Pevensies watched nervously as the old couple looked at the children that were opposite them, but were now on the platform, with disgruntled faces at the sight of two children so young before they reluctantly pushed them forward which made Edmund look to Peter with a worried frown before the train set off again.

———✰———

After travelling another couple of hours, the bored Pevensies finally got off the train at Coombe Halt station, although they were the only ones and there was no one there.

They heard a car come up to the station and ran towards the sound only for the car to go past them and across the tracks.

"The professor knew we were coming" Susan spoke her voice holding slight confusion at the fact no one was here to pick them up.

"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labelled," Edmund said looking down at his label but before they could really think about the theory the sound of hooves was heard and a horse and cart arrived with a stern-looking woman sitting on the front seat as she let out a "whoa" to bring the horses to a stop.

"Mrs Macready?" Peter asked with apprehension.

"I'm afraid so is this it, then? Haven't you brought anything else" The woman looked down at the children who only had one case of luggage each.

"No, ma'am. It's just us" Peter said his voice polite and small.

"Small favours" Mrs Macready nodded when the unemotional look on her face turned into an almost smile before she ushered the children onto the cart with their luggage and towards the big house they were going to be staying in the children looked at it with a slight gape of awe on each of their faces at the size of the whole place.

———✰———

"Professor Kirke is not accustomed to havein' children in this house" Mrs Macready spoke as she led the children, who were looking around in wonder, upstairs "and as such, there are a few rules we need to follow. There will be no shoutin'. Or runnin'. No improper use of the dumbwaiter. No touchin' the historical artefacts" she said her voice raised at the last sentence as she looked at Susan who quickly drew her hand away from the statue she was about to touch, which made Peter and Edmund share a look and a chuckle at the look on their sister and Mrs Macready's face. "And above all, there shall be no disturbin' of the professor."

———✰———

Later that night Peter and Susan sat in the girls' room as they tried to get Lucy to sleep, at first they tried they left the radio on in hopes of it distracting the young girl but it was talking about the bombings in London so Susan had to turn it off.

"The sheets are all scratchy" Lucy complained as Susan walked back over to her brother and sister.

"Wars don't last forever, Lucy we'll be home soon" Susan tried to comfort the young girl.

"Yeah, if home's still there," Edmund said as he walked in the room now in his pyjamas.

"Isn't it time you were in bed?" Susan huffed at her younger brother when she saw the distressed look on Lucy's face.

"Yes, MUM!" Edmund spat sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.

"Ed!" Peter scolded his brother before he turned back to Lucy with his voice soft you saw outside. "This place is huge. We can do whatever we want here. Tomorrows going to be great. Really"