𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝐑𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫

———✰———

The group of beavers and humans ran across the snowy ground until they got to the edge of the Riverbank watching as frozen chunks floated away wit the fast current and the frozen waterfall that loomed over the river. As Peter looked down and thought about the situation, he reached down to hold Lucy's cold hand as Susan grabbed his arm before they started to make their way down the bank.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter called to the group.

"don't Beavers make dams?" Lucy spoke hopefully.

"I'm not that fast, dear" Mr Beaver shut the idea down kindly.

"come on!" Peter called out again.

"Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute" Susan stopped her brother from walking any further.

"We don't have a minute" Peter snapped at his sister.

"I'm just trying to be realistic" Susan defended.

"no, you're trying to be smart. As usual" Peter shot back before they carried on walking down the river. As Susan looked like she was going to carry on arguing with Peter the faint howling of wolves in the distance made her change her mind and the group moved quicker. Once they got down to the river Peter put his foot on the frozen river, but water spurted out from under the ice.

"wait. Maybe I should go first" Beaver suggested.

"maybe you should Peter agreed before" Mr Beaver tested the ice with his tale before putting the rest of his body on the ice making his way to find the sturdiest places to stand.

"you've been sneaking extra helpings, haven't you?" Mrs Beaver questioned her husband as the ice cracked slightly under his weight.

"well, you never know which meals gonna be your last. Especially with your cooking." Mr Beaver teased before the others joined him on the ice hesitantly.

"if mum knew what we were doing" Susan trailed off as she made her way across the ice.

"mums not here" Peter reminded.

"oh, no!" Lucy called out as she noticed the wolves running across the top of the frozen waterfall to the other side of the river which they were trying to get to.

"Run!" Peter shouted," hurry!" Susan encouraged but the wolves beat them and leapt in front of them so the Pevensies turned to get away from them only to see that they were surrounded. Mr Beaver tried to go towards the Wolves but was pounced on and pinned to the ground by one of the wolves instead making Mrs Beaver shout out "no!"

"Peter!" Lucy exclaimed to her brother, scared making her brother draw the sword he had just been given.

"put that down, boy. Someone could get hurt" Maugrim told him threateningly.

"don't worry about me! Run him through!" Mr Beaver called to him from where he was still pinned on the floor.

"leave now while you can, and your brother goes with you," Maugrim told the blonde.

"stop, Peter! Maybe we should listen to him!" Susan told him wanting to go home.

"smart girl" Maugrim commented.

"don't listen to him! Kill him! Kill him now!" Mr Beaver disagreed with Susan and the wolf.

"oh, come on. This isn't war. All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go" Maugrim tried to convince the boy who was still holding the sword to him with a terrified look on his face.

"look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!" Susan shouted at Peter her voice getting hysterical.

"no, Peter! Narnia needs ya! Gut him while you still have a chance!" Beaver contradicted what Susan was saying.

"what's it gonna be, son of Adam? I won't wait forever. And neither will the river" Maugrim said but before Peter could make a decision Lucy called out Peter!

Peter turned his attention to what his littlest sister was looking at horrified, the ice of the waterfall was starting to crack and collapse "hold onto me!" Peter told his sisters who did as they were told before Peter stabbed his sword into the ice as the water of the waterfall engulfed them and swept them to the other side as the beavers swam across.

As they got to the other side of the river Peter stood with Lucy's coat in his hand but no Lucy which made him look around to Susan who said "what have you done?" before she turned to the river and call out "Lucy! Lucy!"

"has anyone seen my coat" the four whipped there heads around to see a wet Lucy gripping the hand of a wet Aurelia who had obviously helped the little girl get out of the river when she slipped out of her coat.

"don't worry, dear. Your brothers got you well looked after" Mr Beaver commented referring to the coat in his hand.

"oh I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore" Aurelia smiled pointing to the growing flowers and melting snow which made the group smile and the Pevensies hung up their coats before Aurelia let out a sweet "I expect I'll be seeing you again very soon" before she disappeared in her usual blossom petals which looked like they belonged a lot more now it was spring.