Chapter 28 - The Letter

Damien's PoV

Since the end of summer games I had barely spoken to Becca outside of work. Especially not alone. I really messed up that night but the wrap party... that was her. I'm so confused.

I sat in my room, after just tidying up. I found some games and movies I had borrowed from Ian. I knew Ian wasn't home as he was with Matt, I only knew that because Mark was with them. But maybe this was an excuse to be able to see Becca and well... talk about it all. I packed the stuff into a box and headed out. I checked the door again to make sure it was locked before driving over to Ian's. I started to feel nervous. What was I going to say? What would she say? What if she hates me? Okay I need to calmed down. It's not the end of the world. I want to be her friend most of all. In no time I found myself outside of the house. I walked up to the front door carrying the box. I knocked on the door...

As she opened the door, I drop the box to floor and pull her into me. Holding her tight against my chest. Her eyes were red and puffy. She had tears running down her face. She was crying into my body, her whole body was shaking. I held her like this for a while until I felt her pull away. I grab the box and walk inside. I dump the box on the table and follow her to the sofa. I don't know why she crying. But in this moment I just want to hold her.

She sat down on the sofa, just looking at the ground. I sat down next to her, she leans onto my shoulder. I hold her hand. I rub the top of it gently with my thumb. We spent probably about 20 minutes without having said a word. I caught a glimpse of a memory box on the table and some photos scattered around. "What happened Becca?" I said softly.

"I...It's.." she stumbles, she looks up at me. It made my heart break seeing her like this. "I found the box I made when Evan..." tears were streaming down her cheeks. I wipe her cheek.

"I'm guessing it brought back some memories?" She nodded and stared at the ground. "You know you can tell me what actually happened... I want to be able to help you Becca" she took a deep breathe in.

"Well... he was sick and he passed away around 3 years ago.... a little after you joined..." she reached over and grabbed a photo. It was her and him, he was in a hospital bed. He looked so ill but the way he was looking at her in the photo, he must have loved her so much. It was hard to look at, I can't imagine having lived it. "He got sick back in 2016... it was a brain tumour...." I could see her start to cry. I put the picture down and pull her in close. When she was ready to speak again she pulled back slightly. "He started to get a lot of migraines and headaches. We didn't think much of it. But it got to the point he needed to see a doctor.... after an MRI, they found the tumour. It wasn't that big to start with so they were able to remove most of it... he was better for a while... but it came back. This time it wasn't going to be an easy fix.... they ran tests and well.... it was...it.." I nod my head and took her hand, I knew what she was trying to say. "By 2017 He had already done two rounds of chemo and it wasn't helping.... he lost sight in his left eye... and we were told it was terminal...I...I spent months watching him get worse... I basically lived in the hospital...he passed away April 24th...I love him Damien... he...he wrote me a letter to open once he was gone..." she handed me the letter. I began to read.

Becca,

You are the greatest thing to have ever happened to me. I will miss waking up and seeing your face. I have loved you since the day we met and will love you even when I'm gone.

I've watched you change and grow over the years we've dated and you have helped me become who I am today. I'm sorry that I'm leaving you so soon. There's so much I wish we could've have done together. But I cherish everything we did get to do. You are my rock.

I know once I'm gone you will be broken. Please baby don't hurt for too long. I want you to move on and find someone who will stay by your side. I want you to get married and have children. I want you to live your dreams. I need you to promise me that you won't be heart broken forever? Please don't forget me but don't let me get in the way of you finding happiness again. I will always be watching over you, I want you to keep chasing your dreams and fighting for what you want.

After I'm gone I need you to stay strong, I know Ian will look after you and so will Courtney and Shayne. Please tell them I say thank you if I don't get the chance to myself. There's so much I want to say but I can't find the right words.

I love you forever and always Rebecca Sharon Hecox. I wish I could be with you again but I'm glad I got to have you while I could.

Love Evan x

I felt myself get choked up whilst reading the letter. I never got to meet Evan but reading this letter made me feel as though I had. I pulled Becca into my arms. She wrapped herself around me. We stayed together for a while. This is probably why she pulled away from the kiss. I know she hasn't dated anyone since. I can't blame her. She was in love and he was taken from her so soon.

"Damien?" She pulled away and looked up to me.

"Yes Becca?"

"Thank you" her voice still sounded shaky.

"I care about you Becca, I don't need to be thanked" I gave a small smile.

"Can you stay over tonight? I don't want to be alone"

"Of course" she let out a small smile. It melted my heart that just maybe I helped her. I don't care if we haven't gotten to talk about things right in this moment I had to protect her. I helped her clean up the box and photos. She began telling me stories of them and her face began to light up. Almost like talking about it got it off her chest. I cooked her some food and we talked for hours about him and their memories. Time went by fast and it was getting to the evening.

" so you can take my bed and I'll sleep on the couch-"

"No, I'll sleep on the sofa... you need a good nights sleep" I smiled

"Thank you. You can borrow some of Ian's clothes to sleep in if you need"

"That would be great thanks" she went off to grab some sweats and a shirt. I went to get changed in the bathroom. Im glad she seemed better after talking it through. I knocked on her bedroom door "you decent?"

"Yeah come in" her voice called through the door. She was sitting on her bed and she tapped it for me to come sit next to her. "Hey Damien do you wanna watch some films in here for a bit, I have my laptop with Netflix"

I sit down next to her "sure of course" I smiled and lean back against the propped up pillows. She put on Spider-Man Homecoming. Before long she was resting her head on my chest and my arms were around her, she fell asleep pretty quickly. I can't imagine what it must have been like to go through all of that so young. She is one of the strongest people I know. I settled down, i couldn't stop thinking about how maybe she pulled away because she was scared and that maybe the second kiss was because she actually liked me. I had spoken to Shayne about it and he said I need to talk to her but maybe not yet. I want to give her time.

————————
I loved writing in Dames PoV, he's a soft boi!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter

-Liv x