Chapter 38 - Fireworks

Rebecca's PoV

"Wait? It's Damien?" Ian's voices echoes through the air. I felt my heart sink. I look up to him shocked. I didn't even realise he was here.

"Ian... I.." I don't know what to say. Ian was so hard to read. Was he angry?

"What?...when?..." he stumbles over himself " why didn't you tell me?" He almost sounded hurt. He's just stood there looking at me dumbfounded.

I start rambling, I was stressed I didn't know what to say "Ian... it's not been long okay and I was going to tell you I just didn't want to rush things and I was scared I-"

He grabs me and hugs me tight. I was confused. " I'm not mad Becs... I just wish I had known..."

"I'm sorry, it's just there's still so much I have to work through and well I'm scared it'll go wrong" I feel Ian squeeze a little tighter.

"I understand, and it's okay. I'm glad you're happy" he calmly says pulling away.

" I really am happy Ian... he makes me happy" I find myself blushing at the thought of him. "but please keep this quiet for a while, I don't want to put any pressure into it" he nods and smiles.

"Right lets go get some food shall we" he smiles pulling me up from the bed. Well I guess I don't have to hide it when Dames comes round anymore.

We spent today hiking on the trails with family friends. They were all so lovely and so far no one had brought up the past. I know it will happen but I'm glad just not yet. Throughout the hike I noticed Ian staring at me a lot, I know he was caught off guard about Damien and I dating. But I know he just wants to protect me. "Ian what's on your mind?" I stop pulling him out of the group to talk to him a bit. He shrugs trying to brush it off but I knew something was bothering him.

"Let's talk when we get back" he smiled before we kept walking again.

We got back and I went up to our room to change into fresh clothes. My phone starts to go off as I get service back.

Dames💕: Happy 4th July! x

You too! Are you getting to watch fireworks? x

Dames💕: Yes I get to take my nephew! What about you?

Not this year, the lake flooded 😭

Dames💕: oh no! Maybe next year we can go together! x

I would love that 😊

"Texting Damien I guess" Ian snaps me out of my phone. He sits down on the bed next to me.

"Ian.... you know... if you don't agree with me dating Damien I-"

"Becs, it's not that I don't like it. I'm just worried you'll get hurt..." he looks down at his hands.

"I know Damien wouldn't hurt me... but I'm scared too Ian... but we're taking it slow and being mature about it" I said leaning my head on his shoulder. He puts his arm around me and rubs my shoulder.

"You're lucky we don't work for defy anymore. You wouldn't have been able to date him with those contracts" he smiled. I sat up and smiled back. "Let's go down stairs and talk to the others" we both headed down. It started getting late and everyone had started drinking. I checked my phone and saw Damien had sent some videos of the fireworks. They were stunning!

Dames💕: almost as beautiful as you 😊

Seeing his message warmed my heart. I caught Ian looking at me and smiling. He patted my shoulder before handing me another drink. We both knew everything would be okay. Plus it's Damien he would never hurt anyone.

————————-
A short but sweet chapter!

Don't worry I'll probably upload tomorrow as well so the short chapter won't have to last 😊

-Liv x