Idle Hands

Gisele followed the group of interns and ER people for the tour of the newly renovated ER, even tough she was there when all the decisions were made.

"And get to know the new electronic board. It automatically updates the location of your patients and any labs that have been ordered." Owen said.

"And we now have workstations at every bed, which are fully integrated with the new charting system. And the beds are now numbered differently, so just pay attention." April explained.

"And now what you have all been waiting for Mm, the Lodox-- low-dose radiation X-ray statscanner. It provides full-body anterior and lateral views.The low radiation makes imaging safer for children and pregnant women. It is our most cutting-edge tool in diagnostic technology." Leah shot her hand up and Owen called on her, "Murphy."

"When can we use it?"

"Oh! I'll volunteer. When I was 6, I stuck a marble up my nose, and it never came out. We checked my stool for over a year." Heather said.

Owen smiled, "Listen, this is not a toy. I know we all want to see this thing in action. But be patient. The last thing we need is some line forming when some real trauma comes in."

"Come on, Chief Hunt, let Brooks use it." Gisele said.

"Chief Hunt, we've got an ATV accident, two minutes out." A nurse yelled from the nurses station.

Owen pointed to the ER doors, "And here we go."

Everyone began to make their way to meet the ambulance, Gisele ran over to the gowns put it on and raced outside, beating Ross to ambulance.

"She was mine," Ross complained.

Gisele shot him a smile as she helped push the gurney back inside, "Next time be faster."

"What have we got?" Owen asked.

"ATV collision. GCS is 6. Open depressed skull fracture with active bleeding." The medic listed.

"Let's take her to Lodox. Get a statscan before we take her to trauma. All right, everyone. Let's get ready for this transfer.
All right, on my count."

Gisele noticed she was bleeding a lot and it bled through her bandages, "Chief Hunt, look." She pointed to the girls head.

Owen stopped, "Hold on. She's bleeding through these bandages."

"Ross, ABP pads." April instructed.

"Uh it looks like it's a branch of the MCA," Hunt peeled back the dressing and it looked like the scalp was hanging off, "Pressure's not gonna tamponade it. We need to get her straight to the OR. Uh, page Shepherd. Shepherd. Ross, you're on this."

They began getting her back situated on the gurney while Heather and Leah whined how it would only be 13 seconds and Hunt said they don't have 13 seconds and how the girl could stoke out.

"Let's move! Let's go!" Owen yelled as they ran to the elevators.

Once the elevators opened they rushed her into the OR, once she was out under and they were scrubbed in they just waited for Derek. He walked in and began to take the scull off.

"You have to take that much off?" Ross asked, concerned.

"I need the exposure," Derek said, "Oh, there's more damage than we could see on the CT. It's been a few hours. I'd really like to get an update to the father." He told Ross.

"Okay, but can't Gisele go?"

"Because I told you," Derek firmly said.

"Yeah, but she's still an intern, she shouldn't get special treatment just cause she's on the board." Ross said.