The Sound of Silence: Part l

Gisele was finishing getting ready when a knock came from the door, "Come in," hearing how light the steps were, she instantly knew it was Zola, a few moments later the little girl peered her head into the restroom, "What's up, Zo?"

As she walked further into the room, Gisele noticed the box she held in her hands, "You got a package from Sala..." stopping due to the difficulty of the name. She attempted sounding it out a few times but ultimately gave up, "It came from Samoa? Did I say that right?"

Nodding, Gisele took the package, leading them out of the restroom and over to her bed, "It's from Salamasina, she's my cousin." Gisele waiting for Zola to get on the bed before throwing herself on as well.

Giggles erupted from Zola as the bed swung back and forth, "I love your bed, I asked mom for one but she said no."

"My mom told me no too, but now that I'm older I can do whatever I want."

"Cool. Is Sala," Zola stopped due to the difficulty of the name, "Is she my cousin too?"

Gisele shook her head, "No, she's only my cousin."

She curiously scrunched up her face, "Is she daddy and Auntie Amelia's cousin too?"

   "No."

   "But you and daddy are brother and sister, like me and Bailey."

  "You know how you're adopted," Zola nodded, "I am too."

Zola's face light up, "Really! But you look like them. How come I don't," Gisele noticed how her face dropped.

Tossing the box aside, she picked Zola up setting her on her lap, "It doesn't matter if you're not genetically related, blood doesn't make a family, love does," Gisele tightly squeezed her, "And we love you so much," Gisele let go once she heard the girl giggle, "I look like your dad and Amy because technically I'm their cousin, my dad is their uncle but grandma adopted me because my parents died. It doesn't matter that you don't look like your brother and sister because you have gorgeous chocolate skin while I have to wait for summer to get any color in me. And your hair defies gravity," Gisele explained, "Wanna know a secret?" Zola frantically nodded, "You have black girl magic."

   "Really?" Zola gasped out.

  "Oh yeah. Now let's see what I got," Gisele grabbed the box and ripped the tape off, opening it to see several journals and candy inside, "Here try one," she handed a pineapple flavored chocolate to Zola. Gisele watched as Zola moaned at how good it was, "Here, go give some to your brother." Gisele gave her a handful watching as she ran out of the attic.