Bend and Break

Walking along side Jo to the peds floor when she was suddenly yanked by the arm, she turned and saw it was Alex who pulled her to the side.

"You're full of crap, you know that."

"Excuse me," she said not knowing what he was talking about.

   "You all voted unanimously for Bailey, you told me you thought it should be my seat and you went and voted for Bailey."

   "Uh, no. I voted for you but since I'm only a resident they don't take me or my opinions seriously."

  "So you voted for me?" Alec asked.

Gisele nodded, "Yes."

Alex nodded, "Okay."

The two of them entered the nicu, stopping beside the parents where Arizona joined hem and Jo presented the case.

   "Lee Franklin, one day old, diagnosed with esophageal atresia at birth."

  "Which means what, Shepherd?" Arizona questioned.

   "That his esophagus developed in two separate pieces."

The father shook his head, "I'm sorry, but I thought you said you could fix the gap.
When is that gonna happen?"

  "Well, unfortunately, Lee's images show a longer gap than we predicted." Arizona explained.

   "It's measuring around four centimeters, which prevents us from simply sewing the two ends back together." Alex informed them.

   "Dr. Karev can still operate, it just makes the surgery a little bit more complicated," Arizona said then turned to the residents, "Wilson?"

Jo turned to the screen, "We'll attach sutures to both ends of Lee's esophagus, threading them out through incisions in his back."

   "Every day, we'll pull on the sutures, thereby stretching the ends inside toward each other in order to connect them in a later surgery." Gisele added.

   "However, for the procedure to work, we'll need Lee to remain extremely still, so we'll need to put him in a medically induced coma." Arizona said.

The father furrowed his brows in confusion, "I'm sorry, but, Dr. Robbins, but why aren't you doing the surgery?"

  "Dr. Karev is now the attending on this case. I have recently started a new specialty in a different department. But I can assure you, I trained Dr. Karev, and he is awesome."

  "You have to put our baby into a coma? For how long?" The mother worriedly asked.

  "This process could take weeks. There are other surgical options I'd love to go over–"

Arizona cut him off, "But this is the best one for Lee."

   "Dr. Robbins, can I see you outside?" Alex said before he and Arizona left the room leaving the residents to look after Lee. 

Amelia saw her sister sitting at the nurses station, making her way over to her she asked, "Why haven't you been at the house?"

Gisele sighed before looking up at her, "It's very awkward there and I'm mad st Derek, he basically said I'm incompetent."

"He did not."

She nodded, "Yup, I told him to back off and leave you to run the department because it's your job. He then proceeded to tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about– I also might've said that you would be the better neurosurgeon if you guys started at the same time."

Before Amelia could answer Herman walked up to them and asked how Addison was doing.

"She's great, married with a toddler." Amelia said.

"His name is Henry." Gisele added.

"So Addison Montgomery with a toddler." Herman stated.

Both Amelia and Gisele laughed, "Oh, yeah. Henry has completely destroyed her white walls and carpets."

"He's really into drawing and spilling and smearing at the moment." Gisele said taking her phone out and showing her pictures of Henry.

Herman cracked a smile, "He's cute," she said handing the phone back to Gisele, "Well, looks like we won't see her on the conference circuit for a little while." She said as Arizona joined them.

"Um, I didn't know that you knew Addison, too."

Herman dropped the smile before turning to Arizona, "Did you finish rounding?"

Gisele and Amelia gave each other a knowing look and could feel the awkwardness in the air.

"Yes. Um, yeah. I wanted to tell you that Ms. Cain gave consent to her valvuloplasty. Um, should I schedule it?" Arizona said.

Herman nodded, "Yeah. Day after next. And you're leading this one, Robbins. Graham will assist and hold the needles.
I'll observe. You be ready this time."

"Yes, ma'am." Arizona stated.

There was an extremely awkward pause as Arizona stood there, Herman gave her the side eye, "Did you need something else?"

Arizona shook her head, "No."

Amelia mouthed, "sorry" as the blonde left them.

"So, Henry that's a cute name, though." Herman continued with a smile.

"It's cute." Amelia agreed.

Gisele was headed to the nicu to inform Lee's parents that the surgery was a success when she spotted Derek up ahead, stopping in her tracks she did a 180 and began walking he opposite way when Derek called after her.

"Hey, no. Gisele stop."

She sighed and reluctantly turned to face him, "What?"

   "You're avoiding me."

She gave him a tight lipped smile, "Yup."

  "You can't keep skipping on neuro just because–"

   "I'm not Amy is teaching me now." She said cutting him off.

He took a deep breath, "You can't keep avoiding me, Gisele."

Gisele blankly looked at him before walking past him and down the hall? Completely ignoring him as he called after her.