{Chapter 13}

She spent the rest of her weekend with her Mom who had a bad cold, and she busied herself by taking care of her mom and cooking for her. She even stayed home to look after her, and because she knew everyone would be asking about the funeral. It gave her a nice feeling to make sure her Mom was alright and go pick up her medicine. She rode her bike, and for the first time in what felt like ages she felt free. She already had the medicine in her bag, but her Mom wouldn't need it until tomorrow so she rode around some more. No one was out as it was a gloomy February evening. It was foggy, and she knew she probably shouldn't be riding her bike in it, but she couldn't help it. She always loved fog.

  She thought about going to see her friends, but then she remembered that Star was probably angry at her which meant the others might be as well, and they might be peeved that she hadn't answered her door at the wake. She wondered what kind of person she was becoming that she slept with her best friend's ex-boyfriend after her little sister's funeral. Now that it was over it didn't seem like the greatest of ideas, but she couldn't bring herself to regret it.

  She rode until her legs started to ache; circling the neighborhoods that she knew by heart, and she knew someone on almost every street. The black glittering concrete, and the fog made a beautiful picture, and the quiet, still dark houses finished it off. She rode to the edge of town where there was a smattering of gas stations and local restaurants. The place where Emily was found wasn't far from here. It was just down a small stretch of highway, and then down a dirt road that Becca went down a few times because she once had a friend who lived nearby. She didn't know the exact location where Emily was found, of course, but she found herself drawn to it as she started towards the road. It was still quiet out. There was barely any traffic as she sped down the side of the highway.

  The dirt road was soggy so she got off her bike and walked it. She wasn't sure she would be able to spot where Emily was found until she saw the police tape at the side of the road. Her heart was pounding as she parked her bike and started into the woods. She had to jump over a large ditch that was filled with muddy water, and she slipped and her entire left leg went in. It was freezing cold. 

  She rolled her eyes at herself as she managed to scramble out; her hands and clothes now covered in mud. She continued on into the brush; occasionally getting stuck with branches as she looked around with wide eyes. It was a dinky little smattering of trees, brush and garbage that people liked to dump in the country. Tears sprang to Becca's eyes. She knew it wouldn't be a pleasant sight, but to see it sent anger and sadness shooting through her. She clenched her icy, muddy hands.

  The place where Emily had been found was taped off; a box of yellow tape and signs warning people to stay away, but Becca wasn't just people. She was the sister. She disregarded it and went under the tape. There was a tarp over it, and she lifted it. There was the grave. The bag went into evidence, but you could still see the grave itself. They hadn't even bothered to dig it deep enough. No wonder they found Emily so easily. 

  She stared at the dirt, and she felt numb even though seconds before she was so angry that it almost made her keel over. This was it. This was where Emily was put after she was murdered. It didn't seem real that it was that simple – a bit of woods on the outskirts of town. She wanted it to be more. She didn't know how or why, but she needed it to be. She needed it to be more than just a dirt pile surrounded by spindly trees, dead leaves and garbage.

  She put the tarp back; wiping her eyes on the back of her hand and regretting it in an instant as mud smeared over her forehead and stung her eyes. Idiot, she called herself silently. She wiped her face on the edge of her t-shirt, and the cold air hit her bare stomach. She looked around for another minute or so as if she would find something that would explain who had done this. As if she would find some evidence they didn't see. She knew she was being ridiculous, but she still looked and made sure. There wasn't anything here though. She swallowed hard at this realization and started back towards her bike.