{Chapter 23}

"So you'll come see me?" Star asked in December; it was their last day of classes before winter break. They went out to coffee after their lecture had canceled due to the upcoming snow storm. They decided they should get home as it started to snow large flakes.

  "Of course," Becca said. "At six right?"

  "Right," Star said. "I reserved two seats for you and Ky. I mean, if he can make it – and if this snow doesn't ruin everything."

  "I'll see if he can," Becca said. 

  She was lying though as she was sure that Kyle would make up some sort of excuse. Going to see his ex-girlfriend in a play probably wasn't in his plans, and besides it was hard for even Becca to get any time with him these days. He was working a lot, and he dropped out of school because he said he just couldn't do both. He was obsessed with the idea of them getting their own house for some reason even though she thought their apartment above her parent's garage was more than satisfactory at the moment especially while she was still in school. 

    Becca was working part time, and he was supportive of her school work, but she knew his real dream was them being on their own. He didn't get along with her parents. It wasn't full-blown fights by any means, but it was a lot of cold silences and awkwardness as her Dad was less than accepting than her Mom about him living with Becca. Her Dad also didn't think Kyle was the right person for Becca. He'd always thought that Kyle was too flighty and silly. Her Dad said he could never understand why Becca dumped the nice Jamie for Kyle. 

   Becca walked up the steps two at a time to their garage apartment, and when she came inside she was surprised to find all the lights off. It was six, and usually Kyle was home by now. She flipped them on, and it was empty though. He wasn't in their bedroom. She got out her phone, and she realized she had a few texts from him. He was going to be late as he was helping his Dad out with the gutters. She decided not to bother him about the play as he was helping out his parents. 

   She was putting on some water for tea when suddenly there was a knock at her door. It was usually one of her parents so she was slightly stunned to see a man with messy red hair and a scowl on his face standing on the concrete landing. 

  "Um.. hello," Becca said as she spoke to him through the screen door. 

  "Is Jenny here?" He barked at her. "I know she's here."

 "No," Becca said with surprise. "She's not. I don't think she's ever been here."

  "Then they're together somewhere else," the man said. "You do know your boyfriend is sleeping with my fiancee right?"

   "No he is not," Becca said, and she felt like someone had slapped her. "He's at his parent's house helping them out."

  "Sure he is," the man said with a scoff. "She left her phone at home today, and I decided to check her texts. She's sleeping with him, and they're in love with each other."

   He got out the phone, and Becca could hear her own heart hammering in her ears as he showed her the texts. She felt her heart sinking as she opened up the screen door, and she took the phone in her own hand. There were Kyle's own words. He was in love with Jenny. He didn't know how to tell his girlfriend it wasn't working anymore. He couldn't stand living at her parent's house. He felt too guilty to leave Becca because of everything that happened to her. And a lot of sexual talk between them. They were clearly sleeping together.

    "I have to go," Becca said to the man as he watched her with pity. 

   "I'm sorry," he said gently as he took the phone back. "I got this address from Jenny's contacts. I thought they might be here together."