{Chapter 21}

Emily Calling?

  Becca wondered what kind of cruel joke someone could be playing – Jenna? She didn't hesitate before accepting the call though.

   "Hello?"

  "Becs? Oh my God, you answered."

  "Who is this?" Becca felt like her blood had turned to ice; whoever it was sounded just like her little sister. "This is not funny. This is cruel."

  "It's me," the voice on the line said between sobs. "Please come and get me."

  "Who is this?" Becca demanded again.

  "It's Emily," the girl cried. "I'm in the old coke factory. I've been here for months. Please come and get me."

  Becca was out of bed even before the girl on the line finished her sentence. She didn't care that she was drunk, and her legs were shaking. It didn't make any sense, but in that moment she didn't care. She didn't even bother to throw on any clothes. She was slipping on her sneakers, and she was running down the stairs while the girl on the other line continued to sob, and couldn't answer any of the questions Becca was practically yelling at her. 

   The summer night had turned chilly as Becca opened up the front door, and she set off in a run. She'd never been able to run very fast, and she was easily winded, but not tonight. Tonight she was an Olympic runner! She watched as her legs flew in front of her, and she kept asking the girl on the other line if she was okay.

  "I'm okay," the girl sobbed. "Just hurry up! You have to save me!"

  The coke factory was looming ahead of her now. It was dark and spooky looking under the moon light, but Becca didn't care. She found the front door, but it was held by a chain lock. She cursed loudly as she went over to one of the large paned windows that were already fairly busted. She found a rock on the ground and continued to bust through the glass.

  "I hear you!" The girl on the other line said. "I'm upstairs!"

  Becca managed to get through the window; slashing her arm on a piece of glass as she slipped through, but she didn't even stop to look at her wound. Instead she listened to the crunch of glass under her sneaker, and she could now hear the echo of the girl on the phone. She was in here. The rickety steps were like Becca remembered from when she and Emily used to sneak in and take pictures. She held on as she took them two at a time. The upstairs was a big platform that would sway back and forth, and it used to make Emily laugh because it made Becca so nervous. It only made Emily try and rock it harder.

  Now it swayed under Becca's heavy feet as she continue to climb. It never seemed to end. Where was she? There was just darkness step after step. She heard the cries, and the girl on the phone was pleading for Becca to find her. Please, please, please the voice said.

  "Where are you?" Becca asked the girl.

  "By the lockers at the end of the platform! Please help!"

  The old lockers, of course! The rusty old lockers used to be a huge attraction for Emily. She tried several times to pry them from the walls and take them home, but they were bolted on so there was no use. She had never succeeded. Becca found the lockers, and she then saw a slumped form by the nearby window. She was chained to the lockers, and her wrist was hanging limply. She tried to stand as she saw Becca, and her eyes looked up. Emily's eyes. It was her! Becca was sobbing and shaking as she hugged the girl with the dirty hair and torn blue jeans and t-shirt.

  "I knew you'd come," Emily cried as she clung to her older sister. Becca could feel her ribs and her clammy skin. "I knew you would."

  "How?" Becca sobbed. "How could you have been here this whole time? We buried you!"