➻ five.

-

the halls began to fill with more people. school was soon starting. joshua had to find chan, who he decided to nickname strawberry with his fluffy pink hair.

"where is my strawberry?" joshua mumbled to himself, searching amongst the long, thin hallways. he spotted him, walking down the hall towards his direction.

"chan!"

chan turned to see his new friend, a smile forming on his lips. "well hey joshua, what's up?"

"let me walk with you, i want to tell you something." joshua said as he turned to walk the way chan was heading.

"i was outside taking photos, and there were these three guys who were really, interesting?" he began to explain, and that's when they made it back to the main area of the school.

he watched as the same three guys walked in, girls screaming and trying to talk to them, but they simply pushed past the crowd and walked to their class. it was an interesting sight, joshua never seen something like that before.

"oh, you're talking about them?" chan asked as he eyed joshua, who was staring them down.

"yeah... who are they?"

"that's the 'popular' squad, the ones you see in movies but put into real life. except the catch is that they're all stupid, not just one of them." chan educated the new student as they began to walk past the scene that just played.

joshua hummed, "that's interesting. i can see why they're popular though, they're cute-" that was something that he didn't mean to say. he covered his mouth, blushing slightly out of embarrassment.

"yeah, i know they are. everyone thinks they're cute until you meet them." chan sighed, finally making it to his class. "well, i'll see you later then. have fun." he smiled, walking into his classroom. joshua waved as he walked away as well.

he checked his schedule. calculus was written as his first-hour class, making joshua groan. who wants math first thing in the morning?

the classroom was located at the other side of the school, so he quickly walked over to the room and found it with only ten minutes left until the bell rang. perfect, he was on time. he walked in to only see a few students inside, reading a book or on their cellphone.

"welcome," the teacher greeted, smiling softly. "have a seat wherever you would like."

"okay, thank you." joshua smiled back, sitting in a seat near the back. he had already taken calculus, but the credit didn't even go through, so he was taking it again. sitting in the back would be fine, he could simply breeze through the class and move on.

he scrolled through his instagram, deciding to post a few pictures he took this morning of the sunrise with a small caption.

"good morning! guess who's officially a senior? "

he wanted to laugh, but he felt the post-depression hit him as he pressed the 'post' button. immediately he was given likes and comments, making him smile. instagram seemed to be the only exception of social media he would use, as he found all the others stupid.

a loud ruckus was heard outside his headphones, he took one out to better witness what was happening. his heart began to beat a little faster. it was the blonde guy from outside, the popular one, the yoon jeonghan himself.

joshua felt something slightly different from his aura. he seemed like a good person but just didn't showcase it enough to prove it was true. he didn't intend on becoming friends, but joshua didn't want to get on his bad side for even one millisecond. the man was intimidating at a first glance, but he looked as if he wouldn't even hurt a fly.

how was he supposed to know? why not give it a try and see what happens?

that didn't seem to be the same for jeonghan, however.

jeonghan saw this new kid as an enemy, regardless of how cute he seemed to look. how innocent he was bothered him. why would he act in such a way? it wasn't going to cut.

but at the same time he also interested jeonghan, he wanted to know more than everything about the new american boy that was sitting down. his heart slightly jumped. he was going to have the same class as him first thing in the morning for the next twelve weeks.

jeonghan, being the nosy person he was born to be, sat right behind joshua. to his surprise, joshua didn't really do anything, just continued his business on his phone.

jeonghan totally forgot about having mingyu in his class with his obnoxiously extra boyfriend. the two walked in, hands intertwined and small whisperes being exchanged between the two.

"oh look, it's jeonghan." mingyu said, pretending to be shocked. "i didn't know you were smart enough for a calculus class."

"mingyu, i could say the same for you." soonyoung said, already expressing jeonghan's thoughts. the blonde laughed, giving soonyoung a thumbs up before returning to his situation, also known as trying to get joshua's attention.

mingyu sat right next to jeonghan, and soonyoung sat in front of mingyu, next to joshua. they were all sitting together in a little square.

what joshua didn't notice was soonyoung staring at him, and also jeonghan and mingyu talking.

"this american boy must be smart to be in this class." mingyu spoke to jeonghan in a low tone, to which jeonghan agreed.

soonyoung decided to befriend this student, waiting for joshua to put away his headphones and phone before tapping his shoulder.

"hello, you must be new." soonyoung smiled, holding out a hand. "soonyoung, kwon soonyoung." joshua took his hand, shaking it.

"joshua hong."

"hey i remember you," jeonghan chimed in, "i didn't know a boy like you would be in such a high class like calculus. you must be smart."

"well, thanks." joshua smiled slightly. "i actually already took calculus, though. the credit never went through."

jeonghan scoffed, "really? wow..." he was quite shocked. "well, you better help me then."

"well sure, i can try. i'm not the best with that." joshua said before turning around.

jeonghan was a bit angry. the new student appeared to be acting as if he was better than him, something jeonghan could not accept at all.

the bell rang for the class to begin, and the teacher's slightly upbeat monotone voice sprung into the room, beginning her first lecture of the school year.

-

the next two classes he had seemed to drag along, they were science and english. joshua was lucky enough to not have history until next trimester, and after lunch, he had a study hall and then photography. his schedule seemed to be laid out perfectly for him.

it was 11:30 am. the lunch bell rang, kids getting up and scurring out of the door to get to the lunch line as quick as they possibly could. joshua stood up calmly, packing his things and leaving the class to get to the cafeteria. he saw chan in the hallway, quickly approaching him.

"hyung! do you have first lunch?" chan asked, quickening his pace to walk along his side.

"i do! let's go together." joshua smiled.

"alright, i'll show you where my friends and i sit. you can sit with us, i promise they are nice."

the two walked to the cafeteria and waited in the line, getting their lunches. chan brought joshua over to a table in the near center of the cafeteria. it was a bit quiet since not everyone was there yet. they were one of the first people to sit down, so they had to wait. they ate in comfortable silence until two loud people started to fill up the sweet air, sitting right behind them.

-