➻ sixteen.

-

the bell for first hour rang, students piling out of the class to get as far away as possible. joshua wasn't in no rush, but he joined in on the students and ran out of class, walking down the hall with a fast pace. there was two reasons to his step; he wanted to see jeonghan, and he wanted to ask jeonghan about the talent show. they were both about jeonghan, but that was all that was on his mind.

he walked into class to see the black-haired boy that he was looking for, making joshua smile. however, he noticed that he didn't look up-to-date. he looked upset, even anxious. when his head darted up, his whole body visually relaxed and smiled at joshua. he sat down, and jeonghan leaned his head on his shoulder.

"i'm so tired shua," jeonghan sighed, staring at nothing.

"don't worry, me too." joshua retorted, putting his arm around jeonghan's shoulders. the class started, him realizing he never got to ask him about the talent show.

but he didn't have to worry, because his teacher started to talk about it. as he explained all about it, which was information joshua already knew, he turned to jeonghan excitingly.

"do you want to do the talent show with me?" he asked.

jeonghan would love to do the talent show, but he had a bit of stage freight. "i don't know... maybe?"

that was enough to convince joshua, so he invited jeonghan over to hang out and they talked at his house.

"meet me at my house," he said, leaving to his class after walking jeonghan to his.

the day seemed to pass in an instant, as he was already home working on some homework. there wasn't much for him to do, so he decided to go through his basket of ideas and decide on some options before jeonghan arrived. but as soon as he placed it on his bed, the sound of his doorbell went off.

he ran to the door and opened it, seeing jeonghan's bright face staring back at him. without saying anything he pulled him in and shut the door, holding him into a tight embrace.

"i'm so glad you came." he smiled, looking at him. he finally noticed the notebooks and guitar he held in his hands.

"i decided to bring some ideas along, i hope you don't mind." he smiled sheepishly, looking down at the notebooks.

"not at all," joshua smiled back, "let's go."

the two went into joshua's room and began their plan, but first, they had to talk it out.

"shua," jeonghan started, sighing. "i don't know... i'm super nervous about this. even though i'm supposed to be the popular guy, i'm still super nervous about performing."

joshua was going to be there to comfort him whenever situations like this arise.

"don't worry, i'll help you overcome it."

over the next few weeks, joshua and jeonghan came together every day after school and would practice singing and working on a song together. they decided to call it, 'falling for u '.

they both put into an effort for the song, yet jeonghan gave the name to the song. because in reality, he was falling for the person in front of him; joshua.

it was simple yet something special to the both of them, since they both put in lots of effort to make it how it was. it was accompanied by guitar chords from them both, and their vocals.

during the rehearsals, they would sing to one another and help improve. soon enough, they could sing together and harmonize well. a week before the talent show, they performed it for their choir teacher and he absolutely loved it, encouraging them and giving jeonghan more courage than ever.

now, exactly a week before the talent show, they were sitting outside and rehearsing again. jeonghan's throat was starting to feel sore, making it hard to sing properly. he was also extra anxious as the day started to come closer and closer.

after the third try, joshua noticed something was up, "are you okay, hannie?"

jeonghan looked over at him to see a true, genuine concern in his eyes. that was made him burst out the tears he suddenly felt coming through his glossy eyes. the nerves he had were getting worse the closer the talent show got. why should he feel so anxious?

"i'm so scared if i mess up, everyone will hate me again." jeonghan said between the sobs, throwing himself to joshua. he was there, of course. he held jeonghan's frame tightly, comforting him as best to his ability.

"again?" joshua frowned. why would people hate him?

"yeah," jeonghan said quietly. joshua decided not to really say anything, he figured it wasn't a time to talk about it.

"don't worry, you will do amazing. even if you do mess up, just fake it as if that was how it went. the more you overthink it, the more you will actually mess up." joshua stated clearly, and even though it made jeonghan upset, he was totally right.

"i know, i'm sorry. i'll try not to." jeonghan pouted, looking up at joshua.

"good, now let's practice, i'll go get us some water to help." he kissed the pout on jeonghan's lips. "no more pouting, or i'll have to kiss it away."

without even waiting, he stood up and walked inside his house to retrieve glasses of water for the two. jeonghan stood there, shook, at how he just witnessed that happen. he never even said anything, because he liked it. the last time they kissed each other, on the lips, was in the bathroom. joshua constantly gave him forehead kisses, but that was it. jeonghan started to feel a bit bad because he never did the same back. he was more of a cuddler, constantly hugging him. with full honesty, jeonghan didn't really know what they were. they didn't have a title, and it bothered him if he thought about it too much. yet, he was afraid to ask. the thought of rejection scared him off.

joshua began to fill the glasses with a fat smile on his lips. he had waited forever to kiss jeonghan again, but didn't want to be weird. he loved the taste of his lips. weird, but true. perhaps he thought about it too much, because he felt cold on his hands. the cup was overfilling, and it was spilling everywhere.

he freaked out, removing the cup from the dispenser and running to get some towels. his mom, who sat at the dining room table, just laughed to cover her confusion. she noticed recently how her son was acting different but decided never to mention it. she let it go, it was probably nothing.

after cleaning up his mess, he successfully got the two cups of and returned to the backyard where jeonghan still sat there, stunned. when he saw joshua, he smiled softly and accepted the water, taking a sip and setting it to the side.

"let's continue, shall we?"

-