Why Butterflies?

The butterfly angel Beelzebub wasn't always an angel of butterflies. They had chosen what they wanted. While the bear and the eagle and the dove were all adorable and beautiful, they wanted something unique. And so, they created the first butterfly, with thin, elegant wings the color of lavender.

They had one person in mind while creating this beautiful creature; Their best friend, and secret infatuation, the Archangel Gabriel. They just found him so elegant and beautiful with those violet eyes and those gorgeous wings. Now to mention the large bird he created was rather impressive.

They loved him.

Beelzebub remembered the day they had fallen in love. They had been sitting in a field as their siblings danced around them. The grass had been so soft and the sun was just right and the beautiful peace and serenity around them made them so happy. Swarms of butterflies flew around them and they watched them dance, jewel tones reflecting in the sun.

They had looked up, and they had met his eyes. Oh, what a lovely color. It made the world stop spinning almost. They felt safe and protected under that gorgeous gaze, and blushed a soft gold. They gently lifted a hand to wave, and he waved back before flying off, spreading those amazing wings and taking to the sky like it was where he belonged.

As soon as he left, Beelzebub was lifted into strong, warm arms and cradled against a bare chest. They smiled; The Morningstar, Lucifer, had lifted them off the ground. He spread his wings and took off flying toward earth, where they hid in a cave. And he began to tell Beelzebub about something new. Sin.

He had already introduced it to a few of their siblings. Asmodeus, an angel of pure love, had been turned to sin when he had laid with them. Levithan, an angel of generosity, had been turned to sin when he found out the beautiful Asmodeus had chosen Lucifer over himself. Now, it was Beelzebub's turn.

He laid the small angel across his chest as he plunged back against pillows on a bed. He spawned an apple from the air and gave it to them, commanding them to eat, and so they did. He spawned a second and commanded them to eat, and so they did.

The angel ate so many apples that they soon felt sleepy, but Lucifer wouldn't let them sleep. He told them a story of how they would overthrow God together and rise up together, and they would rule together and his words simply melted their heart and made them cling to him, and when he removed their robes they had no objection.

The day Lucifer rose up would never be a tased from Beelzebub's memory. They had donned tight, black clothing and taken a silver dagger, killing angels until they attempted to kill Gabriel. He stopped them and asked why. It was so obvious to them why; Lucifer loved them and Gabriel did not. But they didn't say that and instead ran away.

When they were caught and forced to watch Lucifer and their siblings be thrown over the edge, they realized their mistake and called out for the Archangel they loved. But it was no use, and their last angelic memory was of his heart broken face.

Those butterflies are simply flies now, a constant, annoying reminder of what they gave up and a sweet, comforting reminder of what they had. Even if they haunted them for the rest of their life.