You're Awake

'Arraya, we've arrived.... Arraya?'

     'MEDA, I think you may have overdosed her.'

     'I don't think so. It's the same one I used to give you.'

     'Well, she's not waking up and she has a Cheshire cat grin on her face.' Ronan had to smile; her grin was infectious.

     'She'll be fine, she just needs to sleep it off.'

     'Maybe it's for the best.' Ronan placed her on the single bed, in one of the SSFC rooms.

     Even asleep, she tugged at his heartstrings.

     This was dangerous territory for him. Most of his relationships, he would have terminated well before now. Only Tarlia had almost breached that line. Almost.

     As an agent, he never knew where he was going or for how long. That's why permanent ties were frowned upon.

     'Gloria wants you in her office, ASAP.'

      I'll bet she does. To gruel me about losing Darion, no less.

     'Tell her I'll be there, shortly.' Awkwardly, he lifted Arraya out of the moth-eaten curtain, replacing it with a clean blanket. Straightening, he noticed a pair of violet eyes staring up at him enquiringly.

     He smiled sheepishly. "You're awake."

     "Where am I?" She glanced around the sparsely furnished clinical room consisting only of a bed, side table, desk, and chair.

    "SSFC. On the Toxic-Hazard Floor." Noticing the surprise look, he added quickly, "Not that your toxic and it hasn't been used for quite a while."

     "Am I really at SSFC Headquarters?" He never knew what to expect from her as he realised it was the SSFC building she was vibrant about, not the floor. "Could I have a look around?"

     "If you'd like. I'm sure Gloria could organise a tour or something while you're here."

     "Gloria Draelon? The head of the whole SSFC?" Arraya went to sit up but a wave of nausea quickly had her laying back down.

     Ronan could relate to what she was feeling, having experienced it so many times in the beginning.

     "You're just feeling the aftereffects of MEDA's chemical pheromones. Her natural drug helps your body to relax so you can travel."

     "I know. I wrote it. But I never expected to actually experience it."

     "It would be best if you rest until the effect wears off. I have to go and see Gloria." He moved to walk away just as she reached out to grab his arm, causing her to grasp his hand, instead.

     He looked down in surprise at the tingling warmth creeping up his arm.

     She immediately let go.

     Possibly she felt the same, as he noticed her quickly glance down at her hand on the bed before looking shyly up at him.

     "Will you be coming back?"

     Try to keep me away. "I have to go and find our friend Darion," He saw her shudder at the name. "But I'll come and see you when I return, Arraya."

     He couldn't help but smile as he said her name, and then he left the room.  Yes, Just try to keep me away.