Shoot Me Now

With everyone's attention elsewhere, no one had noticed Darion's left hand come out and grab Arraya's ankle, the mirror braced tightly in his right. He'd stared into the artifact, saying the command, as directed by Carlos "take me where I need to go," while thinking of his destination.

     This was definitely not an abandoned warehouse. What went wrong? Darion looked at the old-fashioned furniture surrounding him. Why would the damn mirror bring him here?

     Letting go of Array's ankle, he quickly got to his feet. Taking a double take, when he saw Ronan.

     With his mouth wide open "How...? How did you...?"

    The comical expression written all over Darion's face, triggered a cheeky mischievous smile on Ronan's lips, infuriating Darion to no end.

     "See, I just knew you'd miss me. Lucky, I tagged along for the ride." Raising their joined hands, "Considering how much you enjoy my company."

     "You're a living nightmare." This young guy vexed him so much. He had trouble containing his fury.

     "Well a guy can only try."

     Darion, incensed, looked first at Ronan, then longingly at the journal which had also appeared in Arraya's hand, before deciding it wasn't worth his sanity.

     Don't be too disappointed Dad.

     Tipping over one of the large standing vases beside him, into Ronan's path, he ran out towards the back of the shop, knocking over a stunned junior shop assistant, on the way.

     But not before hearing Ronan say. "Why do they always run?"

     He was made for sports in the boardroom, not on the track.

     I'm not fit enough for this.

     Darion hated sweating at the best of times, but with the movement, his stout body was perspiring profusely. His blood pressure was even sending out warning signals. Although he was determined; nothing, including the shortness of breath, was going to stop him.

     He continued, intermittently, half-running, then hobbling through the store warehouse, behind the shop, ignoring the shouts and stares of the workers as he pushed them out of his way.

     "Stupid, good for nothing mirror!" Darion threw the useless artifact down onto the concrete floor.

     Seeing the exit sign, he made a dash for the door, but was tackled to the ground by what felt like a very tall elephant.

     He was rolled over onto his back. His attacker not even having the decency to breathe heavily or showing some sign of fatigue.

     How he loathed this man.

     Especially that grin. How he would like to wipe it off his face with a backhander. But his chance was gone as Ronan stood several paces back from him, looking to his right.

     As Darion sat up, he saw Arraya walking towards them with the journal in one hand and his mirror in the other.

     "Why did you do it?" Darion had to ask, when she reached Ronan's side.

     "Do what?" Arraya automatically clutched the book to her stomach as she looked at Darion.

     "Why did you have to create him?" He nodded his head towards Ronan.

     "Because everybody needs a hero."

     "Oh please, shoot me now." Darion fell back onto the ground.