It's Real

"You let Darion slip through your fingers?" Gloria's deadly quiet voice was more threatening than if she'd screamed.

     Gloria was renowned for pulling teeth from her employees. She was as hard as nails. He supposed, as Head of SSFC, she had to be. He'd learnt quickly that the best thing was to let her rant on until she'd finished listing his downfalls, then take the orders and run. And don't look back, or she'd find another reason to skin you alive.

     "Ronan, he should be child's play for you. The man's as thin-skinned as they come. He may be a serpent in the boardroom but when it comes to fighting, he's a nonvenomous milksnake. I don't want you back here until you have him in custody! Do you hear me?"

     "Yes Ma'am."

     "Did you bring the girl?"

     "She's here. Recovering from the trip. She'll be needing a change of clothing. "

     "I'll see to it....' She frowned. 'Why are you still here?"

                                                                           *****

     MEDA had informed him that Darion was on his way to Arraya's home after picking up the mirror from the Antique Shop. How she knew these things, he gave up trying to work out years ago.

     He was just glad she was on his side.

     Arriving outside the apartment, not far from the study window, Ronan cautiously peered in to see Darion searching the room recklessly. He'd opened drawers, spilling their contents, pulled books from the shelves, generally wreaking havoc.

     "I do hope you intend to clean this mess up?" Ronan had entered through the open window without Darion being any the wiser; leaning casually against the wall.

     Darion turned, red-faced, to catch Ronan's annoying grin. "What are you doing here?!"

     "Oh, I was just in the neighbourhood; saw your light on. Thought I'd see how the other half live."

     "It's none of your business."

     "That's where you're wrong." Ronan straightened, moving slowly towards Darion. "I'm making it my business. I don't think the little lady's going to be too impressed with the state of this room."

     "Just get out of my way."

     "And what if I don't?" Ronan grinned.

     "Then you're more of a fool than I gave you credit for. This is much bigger than you and I."

     "Oh, I find that analogy interesting, coming from you. I thought everything revolved around you."

     "Oh, it does. But I won't be telling you my plans."

     "You don't have to." Ronan thought he may as well use his trump card. "I know you're going to use the mirror."

     The shock on Darion's face was priceless.

     "How do you know about the mirror?" Darion found it hard to believe his plan had been thwarted.

     "I know a lot of things." Ronan just loved to bait him.

     "You walk a dangerous line, Ronan. Playing games with me will only get you killed."

     "I'll take my chances."

     "You always were a smart-alec. I should have eradicated the likes of you when I had the chance. If you hadn't interfered, earlier, I would have been sitting on my own empire, and none of you would have existed."